how in the world did i end up with blues and blacks????

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok so the man I sold some baby rabbits too didn't seem to believe that they were really new zealand white/Californian / new zealand red crosses like i said. I even showed him the buck(new zealand red) and does (new zealand white/ Californian crosses). I really couldn't blame him though the babies were black with white blaze, solid black and blue. not a single white or red one in the bunch. i know it comes down to genetics but can someone tell me how i ended up with those colors out of that cross of rabbits?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I couldn't say for sure, not knowing too much about rabbit breeds, but generally speaking, they were probably carrying the genes for the other colors somewhere in their background, and you just ended up with the bad luck numbers. The problem with statistics is that they may say there is only a 1% chance of something happening, but if it happens to YOU, it was 100%, wasn't it?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what color are the girls, white or pointed white (nose and ears a different color)

either way your dealing with those girls hiding LOTS of stuff on you

we know for sure a RED is: A_ _ _ C_ _ _ ee

we know for sure that BLACK is: aa B_ C_ D_ E_
and we know for sure BLUE is: aa B_ C_ dd E_

since our big letters are dominant to our little in order to get 2 little letters we can now add that information into our male making your red: Aa _ _ C _ _ _ ee

now on to your does:
IF POINTED: aa _ _ ch_ _ _ E_
IF REW: _ _ _ _ cc _ _ _ _

your general genese are as follows
A agouti (wild type, multiple colors on 1 hair shaft)
a solid (1 color on the hair shaft ie solid black)

B Black (black based colors like black and blue)
b Chocolate (chocolate based colors like chocolate and lilac)

C is your tricky one
C full color (meaning no adaptations to the hair shaft, black, red, chestnut)
c no color (meaing the hair shaft is "whited out" ie red eyes whites and your pointed colors.
this is where it gets a little compliacated
Cchd Chinchilla (just like the chinchilla rabbit or chinchilla the animal)
Cchl Sable (probably easiest to google a picture of a sable rabbit)
ch Himilayan (your pointed bunnies, like the himi, or Siamese cats)

D Full Color (ie Black or Chocolate)
d Dilute (ie blue and lilac)

E Extention (dictates how far up the hair shaft the color travels, E is full extension meaning color goes form base to tip E= rabbit looks 1 color)
e none extension (gives the rabbit a "shaded look" like a tortoise shell, reds are none extension however despite looking 1 color all over youll notice on a red that they are slightly litghter on their sides)
Es (steel)
ej (harlequin/tri)

given that VERY simplified version we now know in order to produce black and blue one of the parents have to be B
we also know that since you got full extension (black) and daddy is none extension momma HAS to be E
and we also know since you got blue, both paretns have to at least be carrying for dilute

so daddy
Aa _ _ C _ _ d ee

and mommas:

IF POINTED: aa _ _ ch_ _ d E_
IF REW: aa _ _ cc _ d E _

in order to find out if your buck is your B youd need to mate him to a chocolate, if hes BB youll get all black/blues, if hes Bb youll get blacks and chocolates, and if hes bb youd get all chocolates.
same with mommas, breeding them to a chocolate buck if you get all blacks/blues you know shes your BB, if some black some chocolate shes Bb, and if all chocolates hes bb...
one of the parents is definatly B

since you got no whites its safe to say daddies not Cc, or Cch, but he could still carry chinchilla or sable youd have to breed to a chinchilla to find out.

same goes doe your Ds, you need at minimum both parents to carry, but in order to find out if they are Dd or dd youll have to breed each to a blue or lilac.

hope that helps

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I didn't read it cuz I felt like I was back in college. :hide

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I kinda see basic colors like suduko, you know you've got to have this many letters in the box and they have to line up right to make the next box work...butthats just the basics, the C genes still throw me off lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I haven't really done much w/genetics since I got out of college. At this point in time, I don't really need to.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah or the most part they confuse me...I figure basic rabbit genetics were the easiest to start on and im finally getting the hang of it lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
love me some color genetics. You can fill up the genotype by working back into the pedigree also.

bluebirdnanny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow. That is one I'd have to print out and read and re-read to see how much I could retain. After a stroke and only a few years from 60 it is a daunting task for me.