How it went....

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The canning class. What can i say? I never expected what happened today. I should have, of course, because when the Lord is in something, it is awesome in more ways than we can imagine.

The ladies who attended the class were all strangers to me...for about ten seconds! They were just amazing people. Open and happy and interested and intent on learning. What a joy !

My presentation was about 15 minutes longer than expected, so we ran over time on getting the pickles canned and half the class will be coming back to pick theirs up.

The refreshments worked VERY well. But first, let me tell you what happened last night.

When I was preparing the cheeses and the strawberry lemonade, I tasted as I went, of course, and even had some pork rings (a 50 cent impulse buy) which I hadn't had in years. Kept them to two or three pieces, though.

So, I got everything done and got to bed about 11:30. An hour later, I woke up with the worst stomach cramps, a fever of 103, and "other issues". I was convinced that I had food poisoning. And maybe I did. I wasn't really able to move. It was weird. It has probably been once in the past 35 years that I have had "multiple other issues".

In my stupor, I was thinking that maybe I ought to put on some undergarments so that when I was found by grieving family, they wouldn't have that image burned in their memories for the rest of their lives. And I tried to figure out how to crawl down the hall and slip a "Class Postponed" note under the door.

Yes, I can be a touch dramatic at times! But seriously, this was a problem. My first thought was to pray, so I did. "Lord, you have planned this class and trained me in so many things, I am not going to allow your enemy to rob me of this blessing. I am sick and it looks like I will not be in any shape to have the class tomorrow. Because I believe I can have victory over anything that comes against me, if I trust in you, I am going to claim that victory in Jesus' name over this illness." Then I fell asleep and woke up feeling completely well, not a whisper of an "issue" of any kind.

But then I wondered, if it was food poisoning, I just made like six things to feed the class. Which one made me sick? I prayed again, "Lord, I have to give them SOMETHING, but what is safe?" I considered two things to be possible culprits, so I didn't serve them, and as the ladies were serving themselves, I prayed protection over them. And to be sure, I sampled everything again myself. That was a little scary !!! But it is now ten hours later and no problems, so I am sure that the Lord gave us all enormous grace !

Okay, back to the class.

I guess the best thing to say is that I was utterly shocked with myself. I had no idea I could do what I did today. I am not really uncomfortable speaking in front of people, but I have always had trouble keeping on topic, because of my ADD. Plus, while last week I had written an outline and filled in considerable detail, I hadn't had time to review it! So basically, I was flying blind.

Again, prayer.

Now I don't know what to say. Maybe just that my prayer was again answered. The comments I received from the gracious ladies were incredibly humbling.

Refreshments again: There was a lot of interest in the pizza cheese that I made. So, I casually mentioned (eight or nine times) that I have other workshops planned, including one that combines cheese and yogurt making, as well as five minute no-knead artisan bread. One lady grabbed this morning's sign in sheet, flipped it over, and signed up for the unscheduled class right on the spot ! So, I guess that is coming soon!

As I reflected today over not only the class, but the past year (I started this self-sufficiency journey one year ago this week), I see the Hand of God directing me every step of the way. Nothing I am doing is about me. It is about Him, how He wants His loved ones to live and how He guides us as we trust that He knows best. Oh, how I love Him.

Thank you ALL for your care and support. Isn't it going to be exciting to see what happens next?

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so happy to hear it Kris! I prayed for your class to go well. I bet a lot of us did! I'm so very happy to hear it went well. So did you end up turning a profit and so forth? (also, is the roof still going well? Last I heard they didn't have to replace the supports.. how far are they?)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
They haven't even started yet ! I hear it is this Tuesday, but I have heard that about other Tuesdays this past month !

Thanks so much for your prayers ! What a blessing they are to me.

The last thing said by the last lady who left today was "You didn't charge enough !" I only charged $10, mostly because I wasn't sure if I knew enough to be considered a teacher. I think I can hike it up next time! LOL I had eight students, about half of those who signed up. Next time I will ask for payment ahead of time in order to assure attendance ! But to tell you the truth, I think that the people who were here were exactly the ones who were supposed to be here. They were SO kind and gracious.

I think I may have spent $10 on the refreshments, as so much of it came from my storage, which had been given to me through FreeCycle, including the jars, and the produce came from the garden and from my friend Maureen. Basically, I think I bought milk to make the cheese and yogurt, and two bags of ice.

Okay, huge night's sleep is due here in a couple of minutes. I may even leave the A/C on tonight so I can keep the windows closed and not hear the cars in the morning.

Thank you again for all your kind support.

Kris

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I knew you could do it. Glad it went well and that you have such a good feeling of success. Sleep well!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
A new career is born! Great job! I had confidence in you that it would go well. You are a natural teacher, as evidenced by your writings on this forum. :thumbsup

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It sounds like the Lord has led you to "Self Sufficient Ministry". Glad to her that it went well. Maybe you could go on tour, so we could all take your class!:celebrate

mayberrygal73

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am so pleased to hear that your class went well. God does answer

prayers. I look forward to your upcoming post of new classes and

how they go. BTW, am jealous over your pantry. So organized!:woot

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yay!! and thanks for the update - i've been wondering how it all went

YAY!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it's so cool that one year after you started this journey, you are in a place to help others along. Wish I were close by to take your class! Enjoy a good night's rest - you deserve it.