How Long to Can Chicken Broth?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 8-9 little roosters that will go to freezer camp when they start crowing or get big enough to eat, whichever comes first. :lol: I want to can broth, but cannot find anything about it in my booklet that came with my pressure cooker. I know some of you can broth here, so can you please help me? Thanks and big hugs!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ummmm???? The directions are with your PRESSURE COOKER??? That might be the problem. You need a Pressure canner for caning broth. Do you have a cooker or a canner with a gauge?

Sorry if I'm wrong but that's just the first thing that popped in my head. :hide

g

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ummmm???? The directions are with your PRESSURE COOKER??? That might be the problem. You need a Pressure canner for caning broth. Do you have a cooker or a canner with a gauge?

Sorry if I'm wrong but that's just the first thing that popped in my head. :hide

g
Sorry what? That's the link to my pressure canner (which can also be used to cook in) manual, not just a cooker. FWIW I don't pressure can broth (just soups, I keep broth short term in the freezer till I make my soups) thus why I posted the link.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
TanksHill said:

g
Sorry what? That's the link to my pressure canner (which can also be used to cook in) manual, not just a cooker. FWIW I don't pressure can broth (just soups, I keep broth short term in the freezer till I make my soups) thus why I posted the link.
Moolie, I think TH might have been referring to the OP's comment, not yours.

Baymule, if you don't have it already you might want to think about getting the Ball Blue Book; it's only about $6, if I remember correctly, and will have more information in it than the directions for your cooker. And I have to agree with Tankshill - my first thought when reading your post was "cooker??? not canner?"

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
moolie said:
TanksHill said:

g
Moolie, I think TH might have been referring to the OP's comment, not yours.

Baymule, if you don't have it already you might want to think about getting the Ball Blue Book; it's only about $6, if I remember correctly, and will have more information in it than the directions for your cooker. And I have to agree with Tankshill - my first thought when reading your post was "cooker??? not canner?"
Oops, sorry! :hide Didn't even see the word "cooker" in the OP, just breezed through.

Yes, absolutely you need a canner--a cooker doesn't take as long to get up to pressure or for the pressure to drop down, so the processing time isn't accurate. The manual that comes with a canner has all the basics (processing time for broth, veggies, meats, a few convenience foods) but ORChick is correct, the Ball Blue Book is a super resource :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ball Blue Book, pints 20 minutes quarts 25 minutes @ 10 lbs. pressure for chicken or beef stock.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry Moolie, I didn't mean to throw you for a loop there. I was not sure of the original post. If she has a canner or just a cooker.
:hide

g

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excuse me for butting in, I just wanted to ask how do you guys make your broth? chicken and? please share your recipes.
Nancy

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Canned chicken stock? Just simmer the heck out of a chicken carcass after picking off the most of the meat, adding onions and celery, bay leaves, peppercorns. Strain, cool, skim off the fat, and can, then process per the Ball Canning book.