How loud is she?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Someone finally replied to me Freecycle ad about one of my girls. Their question though is "How loud of a hen is she?" Uh, as loud as any of the other hens I have?!?! How on earth am I supposed to answer that?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Tell them she is just Standard Loudness, but not to let her use the megaphone. :rolleyes:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know it may sound like a strange question, but if they live in the city with plenty of neighbors they would want a more quiter chicken.
I know with the 3 hens we've had, 1 was much more "talkative & loud" (you could hear her 2 blocks away on a normal day--5 blocks if there was a threat) than the other 2 & I count ourselves lucky to have neighbors that didn't complain.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
For those of us in the country, I agree, kind of a weird question. I had a few Buffs that everyone in 3 counties could hear when they were laying. The Old English I have now? The hens don't make a peep (haha! I said "peep" ) :rolleyes: but the roo is horrible! He feels the need to crow...CONSTANTLY. ugh, I have to threaten with the stew pot on some days because I just can't stand it....he's so small that its like fingernails on the chalkboard!

Ah well, I guess if you live in a neighborhood, noise level would be a consideration. :idunno

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I don't worry about the noise my hens make but I used to so I understand the question a bit. I was surprised by how loud my first two red stars were. I've since gotten used to it and so have my neighbors. None have ever complained about our accidental rooster. I'm hoping this means they'll tolerate the goats that are coming......

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I worried about the noise ours would make too until I had a conversation with my closest neighbor over our clothes lines while hanging out our wash. She said she loved to hear them cackle when they lay. Bet she's glad I don't have a rooster, though. I find a bribe of some eggs does wonders.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I worried about the noise ours would make too until I had a conversation with my closest neighbor over our clothes lines while hanging out our wash. She said she loved to hear them cackle when they lay. Bet she's glad I don't have a rooster, though. I find a bribe of some eggs does wonders.
I thought that too, but the neighbor who has said anything about George just said she loves to hear him because it reminds her of her childhood on the farm in Maine. :cool:

Latest posts