How many can she handle? (Broody raising free range meat birds)

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did the opposite. I gave my Cx hen 20 chicks to raise (some are Cx crosses). They are running circles around her, but she could have covered a few more. The real problem is that it is difficult for the hen to keep an eye on them all so there is an increased risk of them getting lost or in trouble.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I much prefer to have a broody hen raise chicks, than me do it. I love watching them, but not having to deal with it all. I put our BO out in the goat pasture, when the chicks were about a week old. I had put red broilers into her nest late in the afternoon. She took to them all. They are acting like real chickens. They are still in the pasture, while the BO momma is back with the hens.
I am considering putting the white meaties in the goat pasture also. They were raised by a different hen and have been in a chicken tractor. I am tired of moving it and going to a different place to feed and water them. I want them all in the same spot. It would make things easier.

I think it will work out well for you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ok, thank you! :D I just read six pages on feeding etc. meat birds over at BYC. I think I got it now. Getting so excited!!!
If you get a chance, read my meat bird thread about the broody raising the chicks and the feeding methods used. I didn't feed like everyone else does and still had the same end result...but very healthy, fully feathered birds and no illness, crippling or death. The thread has progressive growth pics and even detailed pics of butchering day.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
If you get a chance, read my meat bird thread about the broody raising the chicks and the feeding methods used. I didn't feed like everyone else does and still had the same end result...but very healthy, fully feathered birds and no illness, crippling or death. The thread has progressive growth pics and even detailed pics of butchering day.
Beekissed - can you share a link to that or let me know what the thread was titled - I searched meat bird and your name but I didn't come up with it - or maybe I did and overlooked it, would you mind sharing?

Thanks!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:caf <--but in an excited sort of way.. :p

Thanks Tankshill! Thanks for such great information Beekissed!! They will be here Friday, I'm so excited!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just read that whole thread of Bee's, 31 pages in all! Bee if you see this, thank you so much for that information! I'm so happy other people are getting into it as well. My 25 meaties are soon to arrive, I have the tractor built and I'm putting it into my sheep corral as soon as they get here. Then they can free range during the day and get put back into the tractor in the evening or when me or my dogs can't babysit them.

I'll post pics of their progress on your thread too. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No problem! I had fun with that project and the whole point of these forums is to share info, are they not? On BYHs I had a journal with pics of progress of the sheep, methods tried, successful and not so successful things, etc.

I encourage you all to make the most of these SS projects by creating a journal or thread devoted to what you did, how you did it, mistakes you made, what worked, what didn't, etc. This way everyone gets to see~especially if you post the pics~the process of learning involved in becoming, staying, perpetuating an SS lifestyle so other members don't feel so alone in their attempts, failed or otherwise. Also, so that you can show there are always alternatives to the accepted wisdom on any given subject.

I can't wait to see how it goes for you, Sally! :) :frow

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You are so right Bee! I read your sheep journal all the time, I learned so much from you.

I'll surely post updates and pics of the whole thing as this project progresses. :D