How many families to start a SS community in a abandoned vilage ?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is an interesting question, especially here in Europe, couse you can easily find abandoned villages for sale in Spain and Italy, they would fit the bill perfectly and are usually quite cheap, but since they're empty time gets the better of em, and they are mostly mountain stone houses, so getting them back in shape would be one tough task. But since most of you are such a lovely bunch, have any of you seriously though of starting a community like this. I know it would take a lot of planning, but for an example two abandoned villages for sale

click 1
click 2

both are around 1 milion euro that makes it around.... 1,25-13 milion $ since they can house at least 7 families each it wouldn,t be much different from buying a farm in us, but once again it would take A LOT of work....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is incredible....the only draw back that I see is moving to another country, where I don't speak the language.

This is a very interesting idea though. I never knew that you could buy an entire village!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds intriguing but in this country you could buy land and start your own village if you wanted too. I think most people like to be independent though. Myself, I would love to live in a small community with like minded families. An old fashion type community where everyone had their focus and excelled at it. Like growing food, meat, dairies, etc. I actually have thought about this type of situation.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always loved the idea of a "hippie" commune. How neat would it be to run a business on the land that your community owns. You live off of the land and help each other. How neat...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Those look so romantic! I'm not the type to live commune-style. I wouldn't mind living there by myself....hermit-style. :p

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the first one converts to $1,158,804.17

the second converts to $1,371,365.88

Ok, I'm in $20, who else wants in??? :D

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
these are the types of communities i work to set up in third world countries. they are amazing. it's communal in the sense that everyone has access to the big expensive things, like a well and machinery, but everyone lives their own lives to the degree they wish. what's wonderful is the built in co-op when you go to sell your goods!

i think about this type of living all the time. living on "the continent" would be a huge benefit to me professionally- it sure would cut down on my commute time. i am, however, quite attached to the family land here (where i basically live in this sort of set up with family members- there are 5 houses on the farm).

maybe one day though...

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There are a lot of ex-patriots living on the continent who learn quickly to speak the local language. I don't see language as a barrier.
And money speaks- but there's my barrier.

Some of the houses in the links look like they are in need of repair.

This might be doable if the host countries had credits or funds available to promote this. Tax abatements :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cool but I wouldn't have the patience to set up a community.
I am hermit style also....hahaha

I guess it goes for buying bare land and building putting it against buying those old buildings and what money it takes to renovate. renovating is very expensive and sometimes building small from scratch is cheaper in the long run.....so I think it would be sit down and truly figure out the dollar amts.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
That is incredible....the only draw back that I see is moving to another country, where I don't speak the language.

This is a very interesting idea though. I never knew that you could buy an entire village!
When I moved to AZ 6 years ago I was suprised to learn that there was a town here called "Sasabe" for sale.
Also, don't Demi Moore & Bruce Willis own a town in Idaho?

edited for grammer so my DF doesn't roll over in his grave