How many of us save their own veggie seeds?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been off & on for years (the easy ones) and have been learning more as I go along about the more difficult ones.
I'm now in the process of trying for cabbage seed for the first time which takes two years to develop and last season I left a few heads in ground. And so far they've developed shoots with some clusters that (if anything like broccoli) should become flowers & then seed pods.
I also left some carrots to try again for seed. I've done carrots before and got plenty of seed from them, BUT when replanting those seeds I ended up with "white" carrots. There isn't any Queen Anne's Lace around here & my yard is enclosed by a 6 ft fence & I've read that carrots can "revert". So I've waited a few years before trying again-we'll see what happens.

I've been saving seeds with the intent to become less dependant on seed companies & not that I'm as interested in "keeping a strain pure" although that would be a good thing too.

Anyway, who else out there? And what's your success/failures?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with you. I have been saving the easy seeds for some time and am learning to save for others as I go along.

I read that with carrots the best way to get pure seed is to grow them under hardware cloth (so bees cannot pollinate) next to an anthill. ;) My carrots this year (from saved seed) were paler, but still edible and sweet, however I will be planting freshly bought seed this year anyway. I have not located an anthill yet for further experimentation.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is my first year with a garden, so I haven't anything like you do. I do, however, have seeds from my ornamental peppers. I've been trading these to obtain seeds that I need for my veggie garden. I've been sticking with non-hybrid types so that I can keep my seeds. I'm just doing easy-peasy stuff this year though, tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc. My reasoning behind it is basically the same as your's. Self-sufficiency. Why spend $1-$5 per seed packet every year when you can save a plant or two for seed purposes and get seeds for free.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Am I confused or are you saying an ant hill is a good thing?

btw- that year (white carrots), I had gotten nearly all my seeds from Territorial & didn't have much success with most of their seeds. That was one of the WEIRDest gardening years ever.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Am I confused or are you saying an ant hill is a good thing?
:gig I know, huh? At our old house I had this ginormous anthill in the front yard that drove me crazy, but I did not want to poison them. I never got up the nerve to try to relocate them either. :/ Now that I could use one, I don't know that I have one anywhere. Joke's on me, I guess.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: I don't know bout you, but I think I'll do without the anthill. Though I will say we seem to have alot of ants around here but I haven't found a hill yet. That's prolly a good thing since I'd want to torch it.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, in general I agree, but now that we have a little more land I wouldn't mind horribly if ants took up residence somewhere. They seem to prefer living in postage stamp gardens. :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have been saving my seeds for years. We have a large plastic (rubbermaid) bin filled with our own seeds. I am always ready to experiment with some new seeds. I have been saving basil seeds, although the first ones I planted this year did not sprout, I'll try again. I think I used an inferior batch of saved seedheads, I also have some where I could definitely see some seeds. So I'll have to try those.
I figure anthing that volunteers to grow in my yard, I should be able to purposely save seeds from.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I didn't have much luck growing basil from saved seed. I assumed the kinds I was growing were hybrids.

Latest posts