How many of your SS choices were values/beliefs-based vs. financial?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It is based on my values, but it isn't a religious thing for me at all. The more I can do for myself, the more self sufficient I am, the more freedom, choices and options I have.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For me it is based on values and happiness. I value ripening tomatoes more than fancy jewelry. I value the challenge of seeing just how little I can use. I value being able to make a decent meal out of whatever I can scrounge from the pantry.

I'm generally not happy when I'm chasing my tail trying to maintain a bunch of material stuff. I am happy on a hike or in the garden. I get tremendous satisfaction out of working hard at something and having it turn out well, much more so than if I'd paid someone els to do it.

This does translate into some saved dollars. And it's nice right now, when money is pretty tight, to know that I can still do the stuff I like to do and not fret too much about the lack of cash.

As far as religious beliefs, I was raised in a very religious family, but I feel very conflicted about it now. My upbringing definitely contributed to how I choose to live today.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was a teenager we started to take a short vacation to Silver Dollar City at Branson Missouri. My mom would gripe because she said the only thing she enjoyed was the music because all the old time stuff reminded her how hard she had to work as a kid and she didn't care to look at that stuff.

She made a garden until about 3 years ago. She is 77 and at 75 years old she could work circles around any of us kids. She was strong as an ox. In fact she could lift and move some concrete steps where it took 3 son in laws to move them.

jackie

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ByHisGrace said:
My desire to become more ss is born from a desire to be a better steward of all of our resources . . . . .
This describes me. However, now that my husband has been downsized, it is really helping us financially.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neat topic, Beekissed.

I think for me the following phrase mostly sums it up:

Living simply so others can simply live.

I don't remember how old I was when I read the stat about 6% of the world's population using 90+% of the resources, but that just totally floored me. I still have my battered copy of Duane Elgin's "Voluntary Simplicity."

I know, for instance, that my recent decision to give up jewelry isn't going to put steak on any Eritrean tables...but it's more of a fast for me. One day last summer I found myself obsessing about making some certain earrings. I realized that if I spent that much time and that amount of money (no, not a lot - but....) on someone who didn't have anything...it might just make a small difference. It just didn't make sense anymore.

I agree with your TV thoughts...I don't like that mess in the house.

I also have banned the microwave because I'm not confident that it doesn't mess with the energetic value of foods. I'm not really talking calories or any of that...I'm referring to the "energy" of the food. Think Reiki...the energy of life.

I have always gravitated to the Amish (they're pretty close by here) and have even considered going "plain." Not to try to imitate them so much as to adopt some of the practices because they work. My abandoning jewelry - as well as Ms. Clairol and panty hose - is probably another step in that direction. Since I don't identify myself as Christian I have problems reconciling that association with "plain-ness." I have some plain dresses and do occasionally wear a head-covering...but for me..it's to remind myself to be reverent of all life, that I'm not the be-all-and-end-all in this universe...not that women-should-be-covered thing (no offense intended to any covered women here).

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love these thought provoking topics, beekissed!

For us it is both as well. We started really looking at things in FL in late summer 2004, when our neighbors couldn't drink coffee made with out electricity. We started thinking about our lifestyle, how materialistic it was, how we wanted to spend less, live more simply and generate less trash for the dump. Then we started looking at how people in other countries live . .South America, Indonesia, Africa . and realised just how spoiled we are here. How we think we need more, when we don't. We have been researching and looking at every aspect of our living choices since. Now . . we are starting to fix things on our own, garden, raise animals . . it is so exciting and feels good to provide for yourself and not be dependent on others or leave such a heap of trash for others. I am beging to understand "waste not, want not" :)

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good topic beekissed! It's really interesting reading everyone's responses.

For us, it's been just the natural way to live - the way both DH and I grew up. We were both taught the real meaning and value of "God helps those who help themselves." (I think our country would be that much better if everyone would take to heart that little saying, but that's another topic).

I realized it was the way I wanted to eventually live while I was in college, when I realized just how GLOBAL we are now...for example, that our apples in the grocery store don't come from the farmer down the road, and not even from a nearby state - but ARGENTINA! To me, we've got a pretty precarious food distribution system...and what would happen if that system were interrupted? Just a thought.

We get intense satisfaction from growing as much of our own food as possible, and by working to get off the grid. We also shop locally whenever possible. Saving money is a nice perk, but we'd live this way even if we didn't save.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grew up on my grand dads farm till age 14, and was immersed in animal care, crops, wildlife management, and country living. My mom and I moved to town, and for years I was a fish out of water. After graduation I drifted into the "cool crowd"...striving to be hipper than the next, be on top of the latest thing, etc. Met my wife at 30, and got a real job(building portable buildings). Then we got the kiddos, and I started realizing that my grand dad and his values were very important, would keep a family together. I want our kids to grow up with genuine morals and seld knowledge, not just what comes out of a box or on TV.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really love reading everyone's thoughts on this subject! I see a pretty common thread of feeling like a lot of what we buy, use and do causes a type of wastefullness that we've grown to find distasteful.

I agree with those who say that living SS makes them feel in touch with their roots, as I feel it also. I guess the stories I heard as I was growing up, about the depression era, really had an impact on me.

I mean...just how incredibly tough were these people??? Would I measure up to my ancestor's moxie? Could I move into unsettled territory, far from the nearest people, and scratch a living from the earth? They did it, and had children, and lived, bled, and died on their earth. What would they think of life today? These thoughts go through my head often and I've always felt that I was born a hundred years too late~as I don't seem to fit in here in the present at all.

That feeling of "otherness" seems to drive me to know more about living with less, to become more independent and to learn more skills of survival~even though the world around me is moving towards more convenience, more progress, more ease of living.

I have 8 siblings that were brought up in the same home, same belief system, same work ethics, etc. Of them all, I'm the only one who feels this way, is living this way. I can't explain why, so I'm constantly probing that thought in my mind~why? Why do some see the significance and some don't. What makes one want to give up what others are working so hard to obtain?

It helps to hear how others came to this point and what factors they feel influenced their choices.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Either way, they'll be coming to us if it gets really bad! Then my answer will be.....give a man a fish...no, teach a man to fish!

My choices are really influenced by all of the above. The Bible says the God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth....I want to do my best to contribute as little to that as possible, and improve the earth when I can.

My parents were raised by parents who were starting their families during the Great Depression, so they are very influenced by their parent's attitudes. They also learned many ss skills while growing up.

Then when I was around 5 or 6, my father, starting to study the Bible seriously, decided to quit his job. He was testing guidance systems, and did not have the clearance to know when he was testing for NASA and when he was testing for missiles. So we suddenly got very ss in our house, with gardens, sewing, baking, finding freebies, etc.

Things got better as my father developed his own business, but then we moved to Maine, and things got interesting again. Being a teenager, I became more involved in the ss activities. I learned A LOT.

I was allowed to earn some money and got my first horse, in spite of shaky financial times. I earned her upkeep, too, doing work on neighboring farms. I even raked straw by hand to store for winter bedding and filled bags of sawdust from local sawmills. So I could keep my horse, I learned to sew and made all kinds of clothing, even horse blankets and such.

I grew up and got busy with life and left much of the ss stuff behind with apartment life, but always made stuff and cooked a lot from scratch. More recently, I am very inclined to become maybe 70-80% ss, and am well on my way, and am healthier and happier.

Isn't it amazing that you might do something to save some money and be ss, and it is actually better? I was telling someone today about how that worked out with growing herbs and flavorings to cook with, started out cuz I'm cheap, now I can't tolerate the lack of quality in the storebought stuff!