How many pairs of shoes do you own???

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
And how often do you buy shoes?

The subject of shoes kept running through my head today. I read a post somewhere (not sure here or where) about not having a pair of shoes or five pairs for each outfit. It got me to wondering about ya'll and how you fit shoes into SS or frugality.

I have 3 pairs of shoes, that is it.

I have a pair of boots for winter, and I have made them last for 3 years.

My flip flops, and I wear them all the time! but they are cheap dollar store ones and almost worn out.

And my tennis shoes. I wear these on cold mornings, when I don't need the boots, and if it is too wet to wear the flip flops. I have made them last for 2 years as well.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have four pairs - my everyday tennis shoes, a pair of "Sunday, go to meeting" shoes, a pair of steel toe work boots, and a pair of rubber boots.

Of course, my daughter seems to believe that she is the Imelda Marcos of the Ozarks...

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have lots, but I don't wear many of them anymore, they're left over from the corporate world I used to spend time in. I do have a good pair of Sorrel boots for the winter that I've had for years, workboots I've had for even longer, I don't buy shoes as a fashion statement, I buy them because I need them. When I say lots, I probably have five pairs I use all the time for various reasons. I'm actually getting ready to purge the closet, most of those corporate types will go to a charity that provides clothing to women who are trying to get back into the workforce.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Flipflops
Clean pair of sneakers
"Yard" sneakers
Duck shoes for barn work in mud
Farmer type boots for barn work in winter and in spring flood (these
are by far the comfiest and most beloved footwear I own!)
Sneaker-style riding shoes

(the clean sneakers are only a year old, and not been worn very much; all of the others are at least 2 yrs old, some much older)

I believe I also have two old old prs of sandals "somewhere", from probably 10-15 yrs ago, but I would hate to have to find or wear them ;)

Each kid has 1 pair of shoes, 1 pr of boots, and 1 pr of teva-style sandals.

We are not a big 'shoe' family :p

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
That's a good idea, reinbeau!

I am terrible when it comes to shoes. I would rather go barefoot in warmer months, so I can't really see the expense of shoes. I never dress up, just does't seem to coincide with farm life, so I don't buy dress shoes.

And I am absolutely stubborn about buying shoes. Unless the ones I already own are worn out completely, I mean to the point of no longer staying on my feet, then I won't buy a new pair of shoes. I just feel like they have to be a necessity.

I know what it was that made me think about this. Someone posted about years ago no one had wardrobes to fit the fashions/season. You had work clothes and your Sunday clothes. Hmmm...I don't think I have Sunday clothes LOL

I own a whole whopping 2 pairs of jeans! The pair I wear around the farm to clean pens etc and the pair I wear if we go into town. I am the same with my jeans as my shoes....of course now I do need a new pair since my farm jeans have a huge hole in the knee, but patches are cheaper....so....

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Usually if I buy a new pair of jeans then those are kept for my "good jeans" and my former good jeans become the farm pants LOL

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Three pairs of crocs--one for in the house, one for going to the barn or yard work, one if I have to run out and can't wear my chicken crocs.

Two pairs of rubber boots--insulated steel toes for winter, plain ones for summer if it is muddy/wet.

One really good pair of walking shoes (and I am in need of getting a new pair, but have been procrastinating--winters coming and I won;t be walking as much)

Two pairs of dress shoes--one for dresses, one for slacks.

About three pairs of sandals for dress up.

A running shoe type riding shoe (must have heel)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Is this for riding a horse? I am getting a horse, and have seriously been thinking about spending the $ to get a proper shoe with a heel for riding. I am sure I can argue that expense with my inner anti-shoe person, who's cringing as I post this :lol:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to wear good shoes to work so I dont think you can really count those, can you? :) I wear cheap $8 dollars leather sandals constantly until they fall apart. There are two prs black chunky heel shoes I dont hardly wear. Two prs of low heel dress shoes. A pair of winter boots and the fur boots my DH so lovingly surprised me with four years ago.
Except for the fur boots and sandals, none of my shoes are new. They all come from Goodwill or St. Vinnies :D.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
miss_thenorth said:
Is this for riding a horse? I am getting a horse, and have seriously been thinking about spending the $ to get a proper shoe with a heel for riding. I am sure I can argue that expense with my inner anti-shoe person, who's cringing as I post this :lol:
Yes--for riding a horse. Look on sites or advertise on sites like kijiji or craigslist. Sometimes ppl buy them and don't wear them so they sell them. I bought mine new though--I have a thing with used shoes and how previous ppl walked in them. I have bad feet so I need good shoes.