How many people here are prepared for an emergency?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love earth science, always have. I would have loved to go to college for it but our career councilor in school went to great lengths to convince everyone that there was no money and little jobs in any science or technology field.
A good friend of mine has a very nice job as scientist and earns a good salary too. There are so many jobs in that field and it's fascinating stuff to work with, especially earth science. Career councillors need to get out in the world and see what is actually happening out there before advising kids on what to study or not...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Small town out in the high desert country. Early 90s for me. So you know, tech jobs were coming to the front then. The guy was a moron. He tried to encourage all females to become secretaries.

After listening to what the career councillors did for my cousins in the next big town when my youngest brother was in high school, mom went on a rampage and talked to all the other parents. Ended with the state involved and the jerk at our school fired after 20 some years. He had zero college or qualifications and had only been hired because he knew someone. The guy wasn't doing anything in the actual job description.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
U.S. STATES WITH EARTHQUAKE FATALITIES SINCE 1500

Screen-Shot-2014-04-28-at-18.19.31.png

COUNTRIES IN DANGER OF EARTHQUAKES

USA
Alaska - Arkansas - California - Hawaii - Idaho - Montana - Oregon - South Carolina - Utah - Washington
NORTH AMERICA
Canada - Mexico
EUROPE
Albania - Austria - Azores Islands (Portugal) - Belgium - Croatia - Cyprus - Czech Republic - France - Germany - Greece - Hungary - Iceland - Ireland - Italy - Macedonia - Netherlands - Poland - Portugal - Romania - Russia - Slovakia - Slovenia - Spain - Switzerland - Turkey - Ukraine - United Kingdom
MIDDLE EAST
Iran - Iraq - Israel - Jordan - Lebanon - Saudi Arabia - Syria - Yemen
AFRICA
Algeria - Burundi - Cameroon - Canary Islands (Spain) - Djibouti - DR Congo - Egypt - Ethiopia - Ghana - Guinea - Kenya - Libya - Malawi - Morocco - Rwanda - South Africa - Tanzania - Tunisia - Uganda - Zambia
ASIA
Afghanistan - Armenia - Azerbaijan - Bangladesh - Bhutan - China - Georgia - Japan - Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Korea (North) - Korea (south) - Laos - Mongolia - Myanmar - Nepal - Pakistan - Philippines - Taiwan - Tajikistan - Thailand - Turkmenistan - Uzbekistan - Vietnam
OCEANIA & PACIFIC OCEAN
New Zealand - Australia - Fiji - Kermadec Islands - New Caledonia - Papua New Guinea - Samoa - Solomon Islands - Tonga - Vanuatu
SOUTH AMERICA
Argentina - Bolivia - Brazil - Chile - Colombia - Ecuador - Peru - Venezuela
CENTRAL AMERICA
Costa Rica - El Salvador - Guatemala - Honduras - Nicaragua - Panama
CARIBBEAN
Antigua - Barbados - Cuba - Dominican Republic - Guadeloupe - Haiti - Jamaica - Martinique - Saint Lucia - Trinidad

https://earthquake-report.com/2014/...-earthquake-sensitive-countries-in-the-world/

Sumi, what do you know about earthquake activity in Ireland? I was surprised to see it on the list.
http://earthquake-report.com/2014/05/13/important-historic-earthquakes-in-trinidad/

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, what do you know about earthquake activity in Ireland? I was surprised to see it on the list.
If we do get them they are minor. Co Donegal (way up North) is where it's most common. I'm surprised to see South Africa on the list, though I remember my mom telling me many years ago she felt a tiny one in Johannesburg.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We heat with wood, have a generator for back up power, an outhouse and a well for water. We used to keep a year or more worth of dried and canned goods in the house, not as much these days however. Several bales of Alfalfa hay in the barn to keep the chickens alive quite a long time should I be unable to buy feed. Guns and lots of ammo should we need to eat the wildlife if times got REALLY bad. I think we would do ok for a while should a disaster strike.
I think our main problems will be those who aren't prepared.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree. Along with the attitude that is apparent when one doesn't prepare their household for emergencies is the attitude of entitlement. We live in an age when people expect everyone else to give them what they need and, if they don't, they will just take it.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow unreal no sense or conscious of right or wrong and just doesn't care.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree. Along with the attitude that is apparent when one doesn't prepare their household for emergencies is the attitude of entitlement. We live in an age when people expect everyone else to give them what they need and, if they don't, they will just take it.

Yes, that's a scary thought for anyone who tries to keep prepared for emergencies, that even your neighbors and friends and FAMILY will expect and demand what they need from you, if they know or suspect you have it.

Which is why I have pints of water and packages of Ramen to sadly pass out to any whiners, saying, "I hope you appreciate that this is taking food out of my mouth." :hit