How many people here are prepared for an emergency?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do rainwater collection for the chickens. We have the two 30+ acre ponds and the steam that feeds them accessible if truly needed. And the needed filters needed to use them.

We had 5 days without power a few winters ago (so no well) and did fine. I constantly had ice and snow melting by the woodstove so birds could drink and we could shower. Well I'd fill one of those 2 gallon camp shower and hang it in the tub. We still have an ancient gravity fed septic so we could even flush with melted water.

I cooked on the wood stove since it was actually designed for the top to be used as a cooking surface. Soup and stews mostly, but steak and veggies one night. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Just extra work but we had little disruption.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We heat with wood, have a generator for back up power, an outhouse and a well for water. We used to keep a year or more worth of dried and canned goods in the house, not as much these days however. Several bales of Alfalfa hay in the barn to keep the chickens alive quite a long time should I be unable to buy feed. Guns and lots of ammo should we need to eat the wildlife if times got REALLY bad. I think we would do ok for a while should a disaster strike.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@TwoCrows I haven't seen you on here in a long time. I am happy to see you again and hope you come back often.

@baymule Aww, you are too kind! :hugs For what these excuses are worth :D not only does BYC keep me busy but I had to go back to work and at my age, I come home so drained I have little time for anything. I will stop by here more frequently. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Obviously y'all need a Budweiser brewery. Not a beer drinker, but when an area is wiped out by a hurricane, Budweiser steps it up and bottles water, ships to the affected area-free. I do love those awesome Clydesdale horses..... disappointed in the Super Bowl commercials this year-NO CLYDESDALES!

On a more serious note, look how easy this happened. Look how badly so many people are affected. Such a simple thing, but it sure packs a whallop.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gather all the charcoal you can find, get some sand and gravel. Layer that stuff in a bucket and make a filter. Charcoal will absorb chemicals. I wouldn't recommend drinking it, but it should be safe enough for hygiene, cleaning etc.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
anything big like a generator or wood stove is totally out of the question.

Auctions!
http://www.auctionzip.com/ Type in your zip code and finds scores of auctions in your area.

Some years back we picked up this box stove (on the left) for $22.00. Except for times like this when it's so bitterly cold, it heats the whole house.

The one on the right we got for $45.00. This one heats the shed.

Attachments

• P1010588.JPG
    P1010588.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 345
  • Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 316

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do people not know how to clean spots under a faucet now? I was taught how to do that when young. If you get it right away it doesn't stain usually.

And then mom or grandma would put the shirt with a damp spot back on us. It will dry.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We generally have NO shortage of water (and mud) here, but we have a few water collection devices anyway. Some years back we did have a drought so severe that some folks who had wells were having problems with them drying up. Our well is much deeper, and we've never had that problem but it happened to some neighbors. We have several of those big 275 gallon totes full and a hot tub and a pond. The pond has gotten pretty shallow a few times but hasn't dried totally up in the 10 years or so it's been there. But, it could happen. My biggest fear regarding the well is that we have electricity to run the pump!

It is so disturbing to think someday we could turn the tap on and nothing would come out. :(

If that ever happens, it doesn't really matter what the person it happens to believes is the cause.

Al Gore and Donald Trump would be in the same boat (now THERE'S a picture), staring in disbelief at the taps.

Latest posts