How much did you plant?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang you all make my bits of garden seem pitiful. Hehe. I'll have more next year, and I haven't been able to plant beans and corn yet. I did just till under the grass this year and start this garden.

I have 3' wide rows, so there are multiple rows in each row on some of the stuff

10' of garden peas starting to grow well
10' of broccoli just coming up
10' of Brussels Sprouts coming up
10 tomato plants
6 basil plants
2 pickling cucumbers

I have a few herbs planted in various spots, and some blackberries in the garden. I need to move my raspberries that are left in there before the chickens eat them down. Same with the chives. They have eaten them to the soil in the pot twice. The blueberries are netted off from them. We didn't get the apple trees in this year, so next year. We may get a few cherries off the trees we planted last year. I saw a few set. The pears didn't bloom. I wasn't expecting any blooms on the fruit trees this year.

I'm thinking about tilling and planting some millet for the chickens. They love it for a treat. I'll have to net that off to keep the chickens and birds off.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
In addition to the garden, we set out blackberry plants last fall about 10 I believe. They have a lot of berries to be new. We are going to expand it out, almost doubling it. We can get the starts for free :D Then we have 4 or 5 blueberry bushes scattered about. We are going to put them all together, and buy/find some new ones to go with them. :D :D Then we planted 55 strawberry plants, and have some more we should move with them that I found came up from a path we had several years ago.

Then we are expanding the garden next year :hide I measure our current garden out and it is actually 100 by 60. This additional patch is 90 by 25. I gots to figure out what all I will add to our gardens. I know that a herb garden in that area is for sure. Medicinal and Culinary, and I'd like to try to grow wheat for our storage, and dry beans as well.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
In addition to the garden, we set out blackberry plants last fall about 10 I believe. They have a lot of berries to be new. We are going to expand it out, almost doubling it. We can get the starts for free :D Then we have 4 or 5 blueberry bushes scattered about. We are going to put them all together, and buy/find some new ones to go with them. :D :D Then we planted 55 strawberry plants, and have some more we should move with them that I found came up from a path we had several years ago.

Then we are expanding the garden next year :hide I measure our current garden out and it is actually 100 by 60. This additional patch is 90 by 25. I gots to figure out what all I will add to our gardens. I know that a herb garden in that area is for sure. Medicinal and Culinary, and I'd like to try to grow wheat for our storage, and dry beans as well.
We had planned to experiment a bit more with dry beans this year, as well as hull-less oats, wheat and barley, but got sidetracked with other projects. I have a book that is supposed to help you calculate yield, and I was shocked at how much space we were going to need for all that! Dry beans supposedly yield .08 lb per row foot :( Wheat: .29 lb per square foot, Oats: .13 lb per s.f., and Barley: .05 - .4 lb per s.f. (it said barley is very difficult to thresh properly for beginners, causing the wide difference in yield :hu ). Hopefully, by next year, we'll be situated better to try it all out!

Hope to eventually have a nice berry patch here too. Two of our 6 blueberries didn't survive the trip very well, so we will need to replace them, have to plant 4 blackberries, hoping the strawberries fill in the whole bed they're in (right now, they are loaded with berries! :D As I type this, DH is outside putting in the grape arbor 'frame' (our old pipe from well work), then I can string wire and get my 3 grape plants in the ground (I got one green, one red and one Concord). I plan to line the one side of the patch with rhubarb, as it doesn't seem real happy were it's at now :p All goes well, I'll be swimming in berries in a few years! :woot

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thyme, basil, chives, oregano are in my perennial flower garden. In the two raised beds I have Peas, beans (bush- green and yellow), carrots, beets, a few varieties of lettuce, strawberries, cucumbers (2), 3 watermelon plants, 3 pumpkin plants, and 2 zucchinis. I have 2 pathetic blueberry bushes. I have one large repurposed tree bucket that I have 2 cherry and 2 grape tomato plants in. I have 4 grafted tomatoes (2 early girls and 2 beefstake) in 5 gallon buckets.

I need more garden space. Whenever I can or freeze, I buy from a farmer because I don't have the time or the space to grow enough stuff to "put up".

This way, gardening remains a hobby and not a life or death situation. Given my black thumb, this is probably a good thing. I'm sure that I'll get better as it as I experiment. :D

I have always helped with the garden, but my parents and grandparents always used a ton of chemical fertilizers, and I'm trying not to. I have only had the chickens for one year, and I am not sure how long to cure the pine shaving/poo mixture. I have been throwing leaves in the woods. I tried composting coffee grounds and egg shells for the garden, but the tumbler has a leak and it's too full of water to any good. :sick: This is all really just playtime and experimentation for me. :D

I think my gardening skills will greatly improve as my composting skills increase. ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We got blessed with some black, smooth rich composted wood mulch today. :D 5+ years old.....

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Will be moving come September, so the garden this year is limited to the things that will be ready by late August, early September, or sooner.

--> Tomatoes, 12 plants: 10 are Amish Paste, 1 Snow White, and 1 Zebra
--> 1 row of golden beets
--> 1 row of broccoli--first year with this, and I googled broccoli seedlings. Apparently they look a lot like clover and I have a TON of clover growing like crazy in the yard. Uh-oh... :hu
--> 2 rows of pole beans (mixed heirloom varieties)
--> 1 row of green arrow peas

Considering putting in some cukes as well.

I also have 20 basil plants (the partner is nutso about the pesto), some mint, thyme, chives (lots!), oregano, and rosemary. Mmmm...

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thought I'd revive BarredBuff's thread here. We planted more carrots - this time as a three-foot wide bed. We made bold to put our red-bell-type sweet peppers outside, and protected them for about six days with remay cloth at night. We decided to keep our cukes and cantaloupe plants in the greenhouse this year, rather than planted out. We finally transplanted our five varieties of squash out (on faith that there'll be no more frosts now). Planted sunflower starts in between the squash hills.

Our basil beds, grown toward making pesto in summer and fall, will get the starts planted into them very soon.

As the weather has finally permitted, we're nearly completely planted-up. :)

Barefootmomma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
this is my 1st real garden that i have done with out my dads help.

IN THE ROCK GARDEN
lettuce
radish
beets( havent done so hot on those)
carrots

BIG GARDEN
sweet ice cream watermelon
minnesota midgets
tigger melons
banana melon
carrots
lettuce
beets
sour ghrekins
8-ball zuccinni
corn
hubbard squash (experiment)
yukon taters
sweet taters
asparagus beans
kentucky wonder bean
lemon squash
tennessee sweet potato-squash
sweet dumpling squash
armenian snake melon
cucumbers
green peas
red okra & green
banana peppers
bell peppers
hot peppers
and LOTS of tomatoes

*** was told something about making onions big by my F.I.L WHO was talking to the amish as they start togrowkeep the soil loose and kinda pulled away at the top it lets them grow fat