How much do you pay per kWh?

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We just moved from one power district to another, we were on a city owned electric company and paid about 7.9 cents, but now we are on a co-op and pay 8.3. Since I haven't looked at that stuff in a while I would say the gradual increase is the difference. And I have been thinking - there should be at least 2 options! -for companies, not light or no light! But that is probably a pipe dream!

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's.

We pay about 10.8 cents per kWh, but by the time delivery, and all the fees and taxes are put on we are at 17.3 cents per kWh. It sounds like most people don't have nearly as many add-ons to their bill as we do here in Ontario.

Entropy

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know a 'few' of those add ons you do not have to pay.

like the 911 charge for me. but come on, how can I not pay that one lol

many don't know some add ons can be 'not paid'
you have to ask

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oct 2009 consumer reports said that the average electric costs (nationwide) was 11.4 per kw. So I feel a lot better at my 8.3 cents! Thought that this would make everyone feel a bit better! So if we are all under the average who is above it? They must be way above it! Feel sorry for them!

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
We have only two options...power or no power
Same here, but this thread inspired me to go look ours up. $0.09607/kWh ... not the best, but not the worst either. CDE has thankfully taken on Charter (cable) so we also have our internet rolled into the power bill. Before that there was no competition to Charter's crappy service and high rates. It sounds strange that our local power company has gotten into cable internet/tv/phone service, but we really did need an alternative to Charter's stranglehold since not even Comcast would come in here.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
11 cents, but after customer charges and low-income assistance fee: 13 cents. We average between 600 (winter) to 900 (summer) kwh/month.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
JacksFlock said:
.068, I shop around, and don't just take the standard State of Maine offer.
I kind of wish we could shop around. We have only two options...power or no power :p I think a bit of friendly competition would be good, but ours isn't too bad anyway.

:welcome
That's our options, power or no power... there's only one utility in our province... the rate is 10.3cents/KWh, but that's not including the $12.95 they charge monthly for having the power hooked up to your house, and the tax on our power usage and the monthly fee is 13% :)