How much do you spend on food?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We go through milk like that at our house too. :hide At least there are two of us drinking it.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have $100 a month to feed me...
then an aditional $50 a month to feed the birds, dogs and cats...
its tight but i manage it.
mostly buy in bulk
and canned goods at aldi

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We go through a gallon of skim for the 2 grown ups, and a gallon of whole for the kids, every week. I buy in 2 or 3 week increments, so occasionally, the fridge is STUFFED with milk. and it is expensive. i pay 2.40 for the skim gallons, and 3.40 for the organic whole half/gallons. so $9.20 per week on milk. sometimes more. so about $40 a month.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
At the farm, with the garden in full swing or a stocked pantry after harvest, we were averaging $150/month to feed TR and myself, Titan our 100+# Great Pyr and 15 chickens.

Somehow, without the garden, Titan, or The Ladies and Sam, we are still spending $150/month for food with the garden in full swing or a stocked pantry after harvest.

After the pantry is depleted and in late winter we have been spending about $200/month on groceries.

All these totals include health and beauty items.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hmmm, my husband is the one to keep track of expenses. I know we spend way more than 8% of our income on food. We go out to restaurants a lot. He eats lunch out five days a week, plus I join him for lunch once or twice each week.

Then food costs are up for sure. I have a household allowance, but I always go over that amount.

Moneyeyes.gif

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think we average about $400 dollars a month. I'd have to crunch some numbers to see what that is % wise. And that's for me and my DH. We haven't really had the animals and garden long enough to know what we average there a month. And we're just starting out so costs will be a little higher right now I think.

But I've been really naughty and haven't managed our budget very well lately, I kinda lost track of it when the nice weather finally came around :weee

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Um..... well............ uhhhhhhh..............
280-350 a week on food :hide

And that's with gardening, foraging, swapping, hunting, fishing etc......

But....................

I've got my 3 boys, and 5 foster kids, me and the wife...........

about 40% of my income.. but then again no car note, no house payment, and I try to work a 4 day week at about 33-35 hours :hide

Ok, I just looked it up. I am deep into the poverty levels according to uncle sam... Oh well, none of us are going hungry...

And hoping to totally cut out grocery bills by next year.. not realistic, but a goal..

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
allaboutme said:
Our family of 5 spends about 250/week at the grocery store. That includes cleaning supplies and pet supplies as well. I'm thinking that we could save some by using coupons, but we just haven't committed to that plan like we should. Has anyone had success saving lots of money with coupons?
Yes, check out FarmerChick's journal! :lol:

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess it makes more sense to do weekly or monthly amounts, rather than %. For us, it's 60 $/wk. That includes everything; dog food, cleaning and other consumable supplies. That's for a family of 4. I went back through some recipts and was surprised at the number of restaurants we've been to. I think we're over 10%, including that.

I found some articles on the value of a garden. I'm not keeping track of mine, but even modest gardens can be worth several hundred dollars.

Here's the breakdown:
Code:
User Name      %      Cost    People    Cost       
                       /mo            /person/mo
---------------------------------------------------
k15n1           8      260       4        65
FarmerChick    15 
SKR8PN        <10 
miss_thenorth          500       4       125
Wannabefree                              100
abifae                 300       1       300
Marianne               238       2       119
chickensdu     26                5                 
JRmom                  246       2       123
Sunny                  300       4        75
mandieg4               500       6        83
me&thegals             216       4        54       
                       433       4       108       
tamlynn                281
Bubblingbrook         <200       
yourbadd               125       5        25
Crooked Gate           300       4        75
anniem                 340       4        85       
pinkfox                100       1       100
keljonma               175       2        87       
kala                   400       2
Boyd           40     1365      10                 
allaboutme             250       5

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
keljonma said:
allaboutme said:
Our family of 5 spends about 250/week at the grocery store. That includes cleaning supplies and pet supplies as well. I'm thinking that we could save some by using coupons, but we just haven't committed to that plan like we should. Has anyone had success saving lots of money with coupons?
Yes, check out FarmerChick's journal! :lol:
LOL yup I am slowly becoming my own modified "extreme coupon diva". no stockpiling the entire house like the real extreme people do it, but I have my own little system....., I so enjoy 'beating' the grocery store. It is fun...a new small hobby lol