How much fodder to grow?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Since some of us are getting into growing root crops for our animals, I thought it would be interesting to discuss what kind and how much.

For us, we have 2 turkeys, 5 goats, 30 or so laying hens, 20 or so roos for the stew pot and 30 meat birds if we do them.
Plus us.

We are growing red mangels, yellow mangels, carrots, turnips, rutabagas and parsnips that we will share with the animals.
Make that, they will share with us, as they will eat the most :lol:

We will be limited this year, but I believe its possible we can grow sufficient next year for sure.

What would numbers look like on those particular crops?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have NO idea, but a interested in finding out as well. :pop

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know either. It would be nice if there were charts per animal where you could calculate that sort of thing?

I'd just love to FIND mantels, lol.

Good luck with your project. I'm trying hard to move in that direction too!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I'm afraid I don't know either. It would be nice if there were charts per animal where you could calculate that sort of thing?

I'd just love to FIND mantels, lol.

Good luck with your project. I'm trying hard to move in that direction too!
Baker Creek sells both kinds of mangel seeds ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, goats MUST have hay/pasture/browse, but the roots can replace the hay. An article on sheep says 3-5 lbs per day max of mangels and rutabagas. If you grow 'em big in Alaska, that could mean one root per animal per day.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Well, goats MUST have hay/pasture/browse, but the roots can replace the hay. An article on sheep says 3-5 lbs per day max of mangels and rutabagas. If you grow 'em big in Alaska, that could mean one root per animal per day.
I am more interested in reducing the barley :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am still using stuff I grow as a supplement. Not enough room to totally grow all the critter's feed. I am growing seeds. Sunflower, amaranth, and quinoa. Plus I plant a lot of greens and squash.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Why do you want to reduce the barley? Is there something wrong in feeding barley? Or are you trying to lower your costs for feed by reducing the barley? :hu I'm curious since I'm trying to grow enough grains & stuff, including barley to produce all our own feed so I don't have to buy it. (okay, maybe not ALL the feed, but atleast make a good dent in the costs)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Why do you want to reduce the barley? Is there something wrong in feeding barley? Or are you trying to lower your costs for feed by reducing the barley? :hu I'm curious since I'm trying to grow enough grains & stuff, including barley to produce all our own feed so I don't have to buy it. (okay, maybe not ALL the feed, but atleast make a good dent in the costs)
Food for thought http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/why-not-to-eat-grain-fed-meat