How much for a family of 4?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone know off hand a gluten free dairy free 2500 or more calorie survival bar on the market??? I would like them for our BOB's Just wanting something prepackaged for a long shelf life. TIA

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check out the book

Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook by Peggy Layton

Adjust to what you need.

I like her chart set ups

Don :thumbsup

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
SSDreamin said:
How Much Food to Store
For one person for one year:

All of these items can be purchased at your regular grocery store, although some will need to be repackaged for long-term storage.

Barley: 50#
Quinoa: 50#
Beans (pinto, red, navy, black, white, lentils, split peas): 200#
Rice (brown, white): 50#
Corn (whole kernel): 25#
Oatmeal: 25#
Cornmeal: 25#
Sugar (white, brown): 75#
Powdered Milk: 50#
Honey: 35#
Iodized salt: 5#
Cooking oil: 2 gal
Shortening: 6#
Flour: 25#
Black pepper: 5#
Baking soda: 10#
Baking Powder: 5#
Canned Yeast: 5#
Minced onion: 10#
Minced garlic: 5#
Fruit preserves/jams/jellies: 6#
Peanut butter: 5#
Garlic powder: 2#
Pasta boxed dinners (macncheese): 25 boxes
Bouillon cubes: 50/person/year
Vanilla extract: 3 oz/person/year
Dried fruit (raisins, dates, prunes, figs, etc): 25#
Coffee: 25#
Tea (black, green, herb): 1000 bags/person/year
Canned vegetables: 100 cans
Canned fruit: 100 cans
Canned meat (tuna, spam, chicken, meat spread): 75 cans
Canned soup: 50 cans
Canned milk: 25 cans
Plain salt: 100# (useful for preserving, toothpaste, saline solution, throat gargle)
Vinegar: 2 gal (preserving, cleaning and health)

bulkfood2 These items are available from commercial providers of long-term storage, freeze-dried and dehydrated foods:

Wheat (whole grain): 250#
Dehydrated butter: 25#
Dehydrated cheese: 25#
Dried eggs: 150/person/year
Dehydrated potatoes: 25#
Multi-vitamin: 365 doses

liquorSome lists recommend alcohol. While Im not endorsing their recommendations I can see some possible uses: hard liquor (20 fifths), as an antiseptic and crude anesthesia; vodka (4 fifths) for tinctures.

This is the list we used as a jumping off point. We just multiplied by the number of people in our family. We did modify it to suit us more closely (we don't keep dehydrated butter or cheese, and we have a very limited amount of dried eggs because we have chickens. Our canned goods consist mostly of home canned goods, not store bought, we have almost no alcohol, etc. ) It was just nice having a general list to work from.
That's a great list SSDreamin and I'd agree with most of it. It just seems that 25lbs of flour doesn't seem nearly enough even for just one person. I know we as a family of four have went thru 25# in just 2 months & I didn't do all that much baking at the time. :hu
I agree. We figured they assumed you would grind flour as needed, but we increased the flour considerably. I had just been looking for a one page list, to keep from overwhelming myself and freaking out - multiple pages equaled panic attack when we first started! :p

THEFAN, I love that book! We bought it after we were well into things, and really wished we'd bought it at the beginning!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Anyone know off hand a gluten free dairy free 2500 or more calorie survival bar on the market??? I would like them for our BOB's Just wanting something prepackaged for a long shelf life. TIA
My mom gets some from healthfood stores that are based on nuts, dried fruit and honey. I'm sorry I don't have a name for you!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just bought the Trio bars for my dd at Cost Co. She didn't really like them. Fruit, nuts etc.. The are Vegan, dairy free, non GMO, Gluten Free and no preservatives..

Geesh no wonder my 8yo didn't like them.

:gig

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was looking for a long term solution because our allergic child does not really care for them either (so little rotation would happen) but in an emergency I would hope that would change! They just don't have a great shelf life having none of the bad stuff in them :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I was looking for a long term solution because our allergic child does not really care for them either (so little rotation would happen) but in an emergency I would hope that would change! They just don't have a great shelf life having none of the bad stuff in them :/
Check these options.
http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/products.cvw

One thing that would work well, is sealed bags of flaked coconut and tins of sardines. Not a bar, but high energy and long shelf life.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion I will check those out. I do actually have sardines and seaweed and those types of snacks with longevity already in my kits, maybe that is enough then. I guess I hope I never have to find out.

*ETA, I am ordering a commercial grade food sealer soon and have started researching backpacking type (homemade dehydrated) meals that would work for our specific dietary needs and that would be lightweight for our BOB's. I have been watching this ladies video series, pretty good info http://www.dehydrate2store.com/videos/ if anyone else is interested.