How much poop...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah that gives me some kind of idea Deb. Thanks. So I guess I can expect about 3 feedsacks full per week with this one then...at a minimum. She's not huge, but she's not a tiny little thing either.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and it is good that you compost it!! I swear that most horses only digest about 10% of what they eat! ;) A good hot compost keeps quite a few of the weed seeds that they eat from sprouting the next year.. lol.
If you keep your eyes open when the circus comes thru town you can sometimes get free elephant poo.. no charge but haul it away. and I thought horses didn't digest stuff.. :th

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea Emerald...

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
That's not a bad idea Emerald...
I helped a friend go and get some after the circus was in our town.(they had 6 smaller Asian type elephants and were only in town for two days and man what a pile they left! ) they had tiger and other big cat poo too free but my friend didn't want it.. but thinking back.. if you had deer problems and you could do it secretly just tuck some of that round the property lines and I'd bet the deer wouldn't show up for a while or until the smell went away!! haha.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bet the chickens would have had a field day w/the elephant poop! :lol:

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
and it is good that you compost it!! I swear that most horses only digest about 10% of what they eat! ;) A good hot compost keeps quite a few of the weed seeds that they eat from sprouting the next year.. lol.
If you keep your eyes open when the circus comes thru town you can sometimes get free elephant poo.. no charge but haul it away. and I thought horses didn't digest stuff.. :th
And that's a real bummer when you're feeding 20 of them... gotta feed them quality feed, knowing they'll just poop it all out... but if they DONT poop you're in trouble too... lol Only get horses if you're nuts hahaha (which I AM- but most of mine are for business)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When it comes to gardening can you really have too much poop? :lol: I would stock pile the stuff like brown gold.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I don't get any horse manure, but the cattle are VERY generous by returning what I feed them INSIDE the barn. The really funny thing is that for the longest time, I thought that the floor of that shed was dirt so I started to scrape up some of that good fertilizer and hit cement! Actually that has turned out to be even better. The cement floor is easier to clean.
I push the years offerings into a bit pile in one corner and wait for it to "compost" The girls think that is funny so they do everything to pull the pile back down (as if they really like their own waste matter) and it becomes a flattened, dryer material within no time at all. WHen I clean the main barn after feeding them in there all winter, I get a huge pile of manure admixed with hay so it is really a big pile to start with buy by about 6 months later it has flattened out and quite compact which makes it very good for gardening. I usually end up giving a lot of that away to my friends who like it for their garden. It is funny to think about...Giving away Sh*t to your friends... :lol: and they LIKE getting it.

I only have one rule...I don't deliver. They have to come get it and have a container in which to put it.:idunno

:lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
fEED Quality has a big effect on poop production. They have to eat more Low quality food to maintain themselves and in general the more they eat the more they poop. In general they [produce more poop on hay then when they are allowed to graze. grain tends to lower the amount of poop too/. ~gd