how much rest do you get..........how much rest is normal?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
elijahboy, these are also symptoms of sleep apnea. You might want to consider a sleep study as well as blood work. Hope you can find out what is going on.
Nancy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know about sleep apnea, but possibly narcolepsy. I think that's what WBF's hubby has.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
elijahboy--you absolutely, definitely, positively should get checked out!! For narcolepsy, sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, depression, anemia... :)

I sleep about 5-7 hours per night during summer, about 7-8 during the winter. Weekends I sleep as long as I feel like, which can be as much as 10 hours :) I can easily and regularly do well on 7 hours of sleep, though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW E
you probably aren't falling asleep while cutting coupons tho are you? :lol:

yea if you 'just knock out' while driving then that is scary. you might really want to consider getting checked for something.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah...I used to do the same thing. Lots. I've even fell asleep on the commode at work, while entering data into a computer at over 12,000 keystrokes per hour, while driving, during movies, standing up, etc.

Not narcolepsy, just sleep deprivation even though I might have had many hours of sleep. Apnea interrupts the REM cycle of sleep wherein the body gets its best rest and it also deprives one of oxygen over and over throughout hours of sleep. This leads to all kinds of fatigue during wakeful hours as muscle tissue, brain tissue, etc. have had 8-10 hours of sleep time being deprived of O2. It can lead to heart damage, memory loss, muscle fatigue and sudden and frequent "mini" sleeps....it feels just like passing out. One minute you are driving along and you don't feel especially tired, haven't been yawning or fighting sleep and the next minute you are driving off the road.

One minute you are actively engaged in the story plot of a great movie, listening to the preacher(the most embarrassing time), reading a book or even talking on the phone and the next minute someone is shaking you awake.

Been there, done that.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I worked night shifts for 4 years, and during that time I would sleep 3-4 hours a day... I just couldn't seem to adjust to the shift. I walked around in a constant sleep deprived daze.

Now that I'm a stay at home mom I generally sleep 6-7 hours, interrupted a few times a night by Aeryn waking up... 7 hours of sleep is wonderful to me, I've never been a great sleeper.

I had a friend who had narcolepsy, he would fall asleep in ways that were similar to you elijahboy... we'd go out dancing, sit down for a minute at the bar, and 30 seconds later he's asleep. It was always weird places that you wouldn't think someone would be able to sleep. Listening to loud music, sitting in the park, anywhere.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
In the winter I'm usually in bed by 10 and up by 6. In the summer, I'm lucky to get to bed by midnight, but still up by 6. I will sometimes fall asleep on the couch, especially if we're watching a movie. Going to a movie theater is a waste of money for me. Cold, dark room and I'm asleep! I used to put my head phones on with Rachmaninoff blasting and I would fall asleep!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I just wrote a long response and then hit the dreaded "red x" at the top to cremate the entire post. If it weren't important, I'd just forget it. However, since many of you have admitted that you have had some serious "near misses" I might add a few words of my opinion (with some facts to back it up) and guidance.
1. Sleep is among the 5 most important needs of the human being. In order of importance they are: air; water; sleep; food; sex
Considering this hierarchy, one needs to give sleep its due when considering the issue of safety not only of self but of others.
Need I remind you of how miserable you would be for the few minutes you were screaming as the plane in which you are flying has a pilot who has fallen asleep and is diving toward the ground or the middle of the ocean at night!
2. Research has shown that a person with only 6 hours of sleep functions at the same on testing as a person with a .08% blood alcohol level (i.e. legally drunk)
3. After 48 hours of sleep deprivation most humans are legitimately psychotic. Yup...completely out of their mind. Don't you hope you don't have to work with someone like that in a high risk activity?

How many of us kept our babies on a strict schedule and remember how miserable they were when they got "off their schedule"? Why have we changed away from that schedule for ourselves?
My guess is that the best advice would be get 8-10 hours of sleep per night. Studies show that more than 10 hours is associated with problems that shorten life such as cancer, etc.
The more important issue is that we should be getting that 8-10 hours of sleep every night at exactly the same time, eating at exactly the same times every day and working at the same times every day. While I know that is the "fantasy world" it is the best option.

The worst thing for us is that stupid alarm clock. No matter what we think it is not a good idea to wake up other than naturally. Our sun will do the job if the pineal gland is working properly.

Hope this helps,
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think it is what i eat.

for instance one time....there is this country store that sells fried gizzards..........OMFG....they are so good

well one day i stopped and got a small bax of fried gizzards.

let me explain, this place is an hour from my house.....i will drive there just for the gizzards and nothing else..........thats how good they are..........

well i got a small fried gizzard one day and i am so happy i made it home.........by the time i got home i could not move a muscle in my body........all i could do is lay on the couch and sleep........and this was like 3 in the afternoon..

the more fried foods i eat the worse