How much space does a pig need?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well this has been a great thread and has convinced me that it would be much better for all concerned to not attempt this.

I just don't have enough room. The pig woudl either be near the neighbors or near the BBQ/bar area...and DH would kill me if I got that area all stinkified with pig poo. :sick

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
So then join MY ranks Dace.

I looked around on Craigslist and found a local farmer who raises two to three pigs for her personal consumption. She feels much like we do about pig care. After her freezer is full the extras are sold "on the hoof" to folks like me and then she transports them to our local processor. I don't even HAVE to see MY pig (if I don't want to) until I pick him up wrapped in paper.

Pigs is the one thing hubby has drawn a line in the sand about ... even if we have space to spare later. This way I still get the meat I want and support a local pig farmer (a single female one to boot). :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yep, that is going to be my route.

I just need to find someone. Not a lot of farmers near me!

Reaction score
That's a good idea. Yeah Dace, Can you imagine sitting around barbecuing and having some beers with some friends and every once in a while when the breeze shifts it smells like someone took a dump on your patio? Yuck.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
That's a good idea. Yeah Dace, Can you imagine sitting around barbecuing and having some beers with some friends and every once in a while when the breeze shifts it smells like someone took a dump on your patio? Yuck.
Yeah, not to mention the lynching that would follow! :/ That would kinda suck! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK you people---leave the grunt hog work to me, huh?
Leave me all the stinky smelly mess, huh?

I'll get you my pretties! :)

Muuahhhaaaa....

yes you must have enough land to try keep the smell at a distant. there is not a good "anything" you can do short of total clean up after each poop to make a hog area smell good..LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say....pigs can be a lot of work in too small an area. They will root up the fenceline...the poo is overwhelming....BUT...like right now..I have a fresh smoked ham in the oven from my little piggie( she was about 250 pounds) and Ohhhhhhhhhhhh YUM! I just sneaked a small bite..you know, chef test. ;) :drool