How SS has changed my Christmas...how bout' you?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SS has definitely changed the way I live my life and my family's as well. Its funny to see the difference from this year's Christmas, compared to previous years. Five years ago, the things listed below were not even on my radar :p

This year I treated myself to:
*knee-high rubber boots for the coop from TSC
*A subscription to Mother Earth

For gifts, I have given away eggs, cookie mixes and charitable donations in their name.

My kids are getting needed items, not just crap I find on sale that I think they "need."

With my gift card I'm receiving from my MIL I am buying a bread maker and putting away the $100 my great-aunt gave us, for an emergency.

How bout' you guys? How has SS changed your holidays?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
With my job, I can't be as SS as I'd like to be, or like I was in '08. But SS has changed my mental attitude with many things, working on 'need' not 'want'. Its helped me center my thoughts on one goal, not running around like a mad woman.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Been urban homesteading for a while now ... so not sure of many radical changes, but it definitely DOES effect our Christmases! :p

This year my D1 and her hubby got gravel for their driveway for Christmas (already had it delivered), both my BIL's are getting homegrown meats, and I often give jams, jellies or soaps as gifts. I have also gifted such items in the past as Gamma Seal bucket lids, mushroom farms, and purple martin houses. :D

Homestead items are ALWAYS on MY Christmas list as well. In the past I have been given such wonderful things as 10 foot T-posts, cattle panels, a extra long handled hoe, a wheelbarrow and TSC gift cards.

Hoping for another SS Christmas around here this year. Where the emphasis is placed on Christ's birth first ... and then after that on family and thoughtful, practical gifts.

Merry Christmas!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Like pioneergirl, I am not so sure that SS has changed my Christmas as much as its changed my attitude towards not only Christmas but other things as well.
I hit the delete button years ago on Christmas stress.
I think the SS attitude spills over into my life now with the types of gifts I now give out. Not so much purchased things as made things. Before SS the most a neighbor could expect from me was a card. Now my neighbors get homemade gift baskets containing soup/chili/stew mixes. I freely hand out inexpensive cups with cocoa mix I make. Its much more fun, people whom I would never have given a gift to because of the cost now get homemade happys.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
How funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday.

This is my first SS Christmas. In the past, I have gone into debt, have stressed and worried that I didn't buy the right gift, so I bought three or four more for each person just to be sure one of them was right, and then was convinced the people were just being nice when they said they loved the gifts.

This year, I made gift baskets, large and small, ranging from wicker laundry baskets full of food for close, hungry relatives, to loaves of artisan bread wrapped in dollar store tea towels, or small baskets with jams and jellies. I had many clearance Christmas themed small apple baskets in the closet for several years, so I was able to use them, and now have more storage room ! A Two-fer !The only people I actually bought things for were my three grandchildren.

The result? I am overwhelmingly proud of my gifts, knowing that they are needed, creative, a demonstration of my deep love for the people, and will be appreciated.

And one final thing: I was panicked about Christmas this year, as there was so little money. But because I only really spent $100 on all my gifts (and had an additional limit of $35 per grandchild--using layaway), I don't resent Christmas this year. It has been fulfilling in ways I had not expected.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We definitely have bought or made more practical gifts for everyone. We still buy toys for DS but we are more intentional about it and think things through carefully before purchasing. We've reduce the number of gifts and focus more on the being together than anything else.
I also strive to keep the stress from getting to me. Christmas Day is coming whether I'm "ready" or not so I might as well enjoy it as much as possible. A few years back I knocked myself out getting ready and ended up with a stomach bug on the 25th. All plans were canceled. I lay on the sofa watching DS and DH open their gifts. They had chicken soup for dinner and I had ginger ale and saltines. I learned a lot that day!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, how's this for an SS Christmas... I haven't bought one gift, and I don't plan on it. the kids will get some money where they will choose wisely how to spend it after Christmas, after all the retailers are done telling them what they think they need. They will get gifts from grandparents, but that is pretty much it.

Stress? What is that?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am on the fence again on this. For the past few years I have requested as my gift the things I needed for becoming more SS. Pressure canner, new rabbit hutch(husband made), garden boxes etc... But for Dh and kids I still shop. I try to be practical and purchase things they need. But I also usually buy one toy or big gift that they request.

For the cousins, the only other gifts we buy I made beanies on my nifty knitter. But then I caved and bought each a small gift as well. For my multitude of extended family I see, I usually bake or make fudge.

I think weaning yourself off of the commercial Christmas is a process just like everything else. It's especially hard when you have little ones. Slowly but surely I will get there but probably not until the kids are older.

gina