How to convince DH to turn off the heat?

Lil Chickie Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We live in a new house (built Jul 08) and it has great insulation. We use the AC in the summer but we get highs around 115 regularly so I'm fine with that. However, it has just barely begun to drop in temp at night and my DH is cranking up the heat. :barnie IMHO it does NOT need to be at a constant level of 70 in the house. I'm a hot bod so I burn up, but I love cold weather and it to be cold in the house. I love when it's cold because it's an excuse to wear cute sweaters, wrap up in a blanket or add the down comforter to the bed. How do I convince DH that putting the heat up like that is a waste?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
If lower power bills doesn't motivate him, you will have to find something else that will motivate him. Maybe if you told him that a cooler house makes you feel more, um . . . snuggle inclined? :hu

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I TOLD TONY.

Yup, I sat him down, told him how much money we should save keeping that heat to a minimum and not using it early in the year.....told him to put on clothes if he was cold, (he is the type to walk around in muscle shirt and shorts) and told him that was the way it was going to be.

I told him the saved money will go toward all our camping trips to pay in cash and that was the motivation.

I showed him the older bills and then the new bills and the BIG diff. in savings.

It worked and he jumped on board.

Sometimes you need to take a tad of control, walk a person thru the new situation and when they see the good money results, we all win.

edited to say---you will find that lower number he can tolerate. Like Tony likes about 70----but I drop it to 67. I can not handle 66. I don't know what it is but 67 is my low and I ain't going lower..LOL----but those few degrees mean a huge diff. in the bill.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am a heat cranker....sorry. I refuse to be cold in my own house.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
"I couldn't even THINK of it with the heat on so high. Who wants to create friction in the middle of a heat wave."

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
"I couldn't even THINK of it with the heat on so high. Who wants to create friction in the middle of a heat wave."
:gig

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You're in Escalon? I'm in Modesto. It is too warm to turn on the heat. This is from someone that is always cold. I wear a sweater almost all year. We have only had it on twice since the end of Summer. Remind him that when it is warm there is no need to cuddle.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think the best you can do is sit down and do the math, show him exactly how much money you'd save by turning the thermostat down X degrees (subtract out the cost of slippers and a comfy fleecy pullover or etc to wear around the house ;))

But, to be fair, there really IS variation in how comfortable different people are at different temperatures. Some of it is physiological, and there is only so much that arguing is going to do about it.

Good luck,

Pat

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Something I have noticed about myself is that when I am outside more i'm not a sensitive to temperature variation.