How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok, I just made a big pot of tri colored quinoa and it came out perfectly. I'm having a small bowl of it simply with melted butter and sea salt as a snack. It tastes fantastic! The only thing I changed was I did use slow cooked NT style bone broth rather than water.

It came out light and fluffy just like the instructions said it would. YUM!

How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly!
by Wendy Polisi via CookingQuinoa.com

If you are like me, food being good just isnt enough. I put a lot of effort into cooking and I want everything to be perfect! Because cooking quinoa is something I do all the time, I set out to learn how to cook quinoa perfectly.

Most methods of cooking quinoa call for a 1:2 ratio between quinoa and liquid and for a long time, I thought this was the best method to cook quinoa perfectly. What I found is that I like quinoa a lot more when I used less liquid, lower heat and cooked my quinoa for longer. Unlike some methods which yield a softer (and sometimes soggy!) quinoa, this method yields a fluffy quinoa. When I am short on time I will still use the old method, but as long as I have the time I find that the results are well worth the effort.

This method is a bit different than most quinoa recipes that you will come across, so you will have to make adjustments when necessary. The good news is that quinoa is very forgiving, so quinoa cooking experiments are pretty hard to mess up!

How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly
Step One:

If you are working with unrinsed quinoa, you want to start off by soaking your quinoa. You can soak for an hour or more without a negative impact but 15 minutes will do the trick. After soaking, rinse for two or three minutes in a fine mesh colander. If you do not have a colander that is fine enough, you can line your regular colander with cheesecloth to get the job done. If you are using pre-rinsed quinoa you can skip this step.

Step Two:

Add one part quinoa to one and a quarter parts liquid. As always, choose the liquid that best suits the dish you are making. Depending on the ad ins you are using, you may or may not use a bit more liquid. Bring to a simmer and then reduce to low. Cover and cook for between 30 and 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for an additional five minutes. Fluff and serve.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yum... Do you have any favorite Quinoa recipes. I have made it a couple times before but the pile of fluff just doesn't do it for the family.

Any add ins???

g

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Last night it was just butter, sea salt and bragg's amino acid. (Like soy sauce.)

Everyone loved it....but we love rice and soy sauce around here.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is that Bragg's gluten free? I have been looking for a gluten free soy. Is that what you all are using?

gina

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made stuffed squash with quinoa yesterday - prompted by BB's recipe awhile ago. Quinoa, Italian sausage, onions, celery, rehydrated dried cranberries, salt, pepper, herbs. Turned out very nicely, even DH liked it! :D

Latest posts