How to crisp up pickeld peppers?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I finally opened a jar of the pickled peppers I made a couple weeks ago! They are great, but a bit soft. Next time, how can I keep them a bit more firm?

Harley's Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure how to keep them crispy. But when I make pickles I put ice on them. For about 2-3 hours. They stay crispy even after they have been opened. So maybe try icing them! Worth a try. ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've never had pickled peppers that are *crisp* as such, not even store boughten ones... do you mean they are really soft and floppy, or just not crisp-like-a-crisp-cucumber-pickle crisp? Mine come out pretty much exactly like store-boughten pickled peppers, for whatever that's worth. Depends somewhat on what kind of pepper you used too.

Did you raw pack them or did you boil them in the vinegar first?

Otherwise I dunno. I know alum can be used to increase crunchiness of cucumber pickles, have no idea whether it can be used with peppers.

Sorry,

Pat

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you plan on using them fairly quickly, you could just make refrigerator pickles and not bother with the canning, and those could certainly be crisper. I don't know specifics (maybe someone else does?) but in my experience a batch of fridge pickles is good for maybe a month or so.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Pat, I mean they were mushy. The green serranos were similar to store bought canned jalepenos and were fine. The red ones were really mushy and the Peperoncini type were really soft, did not have that store bought firmness.

Maybe the really ripe red ones are just not good for canning, and maybe home canning just softens the peps more than commercial products that are loaded with chemicals.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
This is the first year I tried pickled peppers. I tried three different types of peppers. I haven't opened a jar yet, I wasn't sure how long you wait (or if you do) before you open them?

Harley's Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
This is the first year I tried pickled peppers. I tried three different types of peppers. I haven't opened a jar yet, I wasn't sure how long you wait (or if you do) before you open them?
Oh you don't need to wait to open them. Just when ever you want to. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
they won't be quite their finished self for a few weeks, but of course you CAN start in on 'em whenever you like :)

Pat