How to de-smellify plastic?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not sure I'm posting this in the right section, but oh well...:)

I bought a glass jar from a thrift store to store dehydrated veggies in. While washing, I noticed the plastic part of the glass top reaks of mint (like it previously contained Christmas peppermint candy). I've scrubbed with soap, soaked in bleach/water, & soaked in baking soda paste...still stinks! :p

Any other ideas out there?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think 2bz sometimes it is just 'infused' in it and nothing works.

geez, new campers smell to high heaven. not that good car smell LOL but it takes forever for 'that smell' to clear..years sometimes...at least it seems that way to me.

can you find a new lid to fit....one less stinky?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I'm wondering if there's a way to "seal" it somehow...like when you use primer paint on a wall....? I just don't want minty green peppers! :p

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you can't get the smell out, maybe you could cover the inside of the lid with wax paper to keep the smell off the peppers.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does it have a standard size lid? Could you swap in a new lid, such as a Ball canning jar plastic storage lid? I have lots of both the standard and wide-mouth size if you need me to drop one in the mail for you (no point in buying a box of lids if you only need one).

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
calendula - I have it soaking in a bowl of white vinegar right now. :fl Yeah, waxed paper is another idea...

moolie - I measured it, the opening is 3" across. I have to get my step-ladder out to reach my canning jar lids to see if it might be a match. Thank you SO much for your offer!!!

I hate to remove the plastic entirely, b/c that's what's giving it such a snug seal. It's a "ginger jar" kinda thing.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
FarmerChick said:
I'm wondering if there's a way to "seal" it somehow...like when you use primer paint on a wall....? I just don't want minty green peppers! :p
Actually, there are recepies out there that call for both peppers and mint, might be something new to try? :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
Actually, there are recepies out there that call for both peppers and mint, might be something new to try? :)
Uhhhhhhhhhhh.....:sick

Guess I'm too old-fashioned for that! ;)