How to Dry Herbs?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone use low heat dehydration? I have discovered that my refrigerator and freezer make great dehydrators as long as I don't overload them. My Jerky is just freezer burned meat sliced thin placed on racks left uncovered in the freezer overnight. the next day the racks are placed over a fan so the water evaporates as the ice crystals melt. I have a anti frost freezer and I noticed that ice cubes just diasppeared if left for a day or so. the ice was going somewhere and I never found them melted. Noticed some of the best herbs I was then buying were marked "freeze dried" so... I tried it at home. The first were mushroons The ones I bought fresh packaged in plastic always went slimy but put in a paper bag in the general refrig (not the crisper) they would dry nicely. used directly in soups or stews. Rehrdrated in the fry pan to fry evaporate the water ( flavor full) and add oil or fat to fry them. There must be things you can't do this way (I haven't tried fruits) but any of the herbs I have tried came out great with more flavor than traditional dried herbs I think they retain more of the oils that are lost using heat methods.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What kind of dehydrator do you have--does it have a fan?
I don't even have a dehydrator. I have a hot tub cover that I lay silicone mats on top of and then put cheese cloth over the top held up with a few bricks. Like I said, there are advantages to a dry climate :D

Sometimes I do use a fan. Just the fan in a warm room. With an average humidity level on about 15%, it dries out plenty quick.