How to dye white tshirts black?? wierd yellowish splotchy stains

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
I have a front load washer so that is out.
I have several(like 10)l of my husbands white tshirts that I soaked in bleach in a bucket to try to rid of pit stains. But they came out with yellowish streaks splotches here and there that are very noticable.
Is there a way to dye these black without too much effort without a top load washer?

Or do I just pitch (cut into rags) and go buy black ones LOL. I really want to do the cheapest thing as well don't really have the money to buy new shirts as just bought the white ones at christmas.

edited to add 10 shirts and how to do them at one time

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
I have a front load washer so that is out.
I have several of my husbands white tshirts that I soaked in bleach in a bucket to try to rid of pit stains. But they came out with yellowish streaks splotches here and there that are very noticable.
Is there a way to dye these black without too much effort without a top load washer?

Or do I just pitch (cut into rags) and go buy black ones LOL. I really want to do the cheapest thing as well don't really have the money to buy new shirts as just bought the white ones at christmas.
http://www.ritdye.com/dyeing-techniques/low-water-immersion

Or you could tiedye and go for the hippy look...

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So does he wear these under other clothes or by themselves? If they're under other clothes, no one cares.

I never wear white t-shirts. They stain too easily.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You might be able to get rid of the stains, by rubbing lemon juice and sprinkling salt over them.
Then set them out side in the sun.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dyeing a solid color will not get rid of the stains; also you will not be able to achieve a good 'commercial-looking' black anyway.

I would suggest either a wildly-patterned dye job, e.g. a small-pattern tie-dye, or get yourself some fabric paints and paint something or other over the stained area. The stains will remain somewhat "technically visible" but if you have a picture or design painted over them you won't actually SEE the stain, you know?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bless your heart - another husband like mine. I have to hide new t-shirts from him and only bring them out when we're going somewhere. He works outside all the time and gets his clothes filthy. Not even our homemade laundry soap will clean them.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
he wears them under his work shirt. And to me the stains arent "visible" but he refuses to wear them. so I guess they will become rags(never have enough rags LOL) lol and I will slowly invest in black tshirts.