How to Get a Tight Fitting Ring OFF

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on taking off my wedding band, I have a habit of turning it with my thumb. Recently I found out that it would not come off. Now I really WANTED it off. I tried soaps, oil, grease, everything I could think of. Nothing worked. I figured I'd have to get it cut off and went to a jewelry store. The lady put a paper towel on the counter and sprayed my finger with, of all things, WINDEX! I had to work the ring side to side, back and forth, but it came off! WINDEX! Who knew?

That was several days ago, I still have a dent on my finger where my wedding band was. I hadn't realized that I had grown some fat fingers in the past 26 years. :lol: I never took it off, so it never was an issue.

Y'all just remember--WINDEX!

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on taking off my wedding band, I have a habit of turning it with my thumb. Recently I found out that it would not come off. Now I really WANTED it off. I tried soaps, oil, grease, everything I could think of. Nothing worked. I figured I'd have to get it cut off and went to a jewelry store. The lady put a paper towel on the counter and sprayed my finger with, of all things, WINDEX! I had to work the ring side to side, back and forth, but it came off! WINDEX! Who knew?

That was several days ago, I still have a dent on my finger where my wedding band was. I hadn't realized that I had grown some fat fingers in the past 26 years. :lol: I never took it off, so it never was an issue.

Y'all just remember--WINDEX!
From the title I was expecting trouble getting a jar ring off.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to wear my Moms old wedding ring she gave me. One day I tried to take it off and almost couldnt. I hadnt realized, as did you, that my fingers had gotten fatter. I havent put it back on and just keep it in the safe.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:
Hot water on the jar ring only works.

if you're lucky enough to have some dried up sugary stuff in there. at one point the ring was so rusted that i just used some pliers/cutters and cut the ring off.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you're lucky enough to have some dried up sugary stuff in there. at one point the ring was so rusted that i just used some pliers/cutters and cut the ring off.
Heating the ring only is only partially about dissolving sediments. It is more about getting the metal to expand at a faster rate than the glass thus becoming looser..

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never been able to keep a ring on 24/7; it irritates me eventually and I pull it off. So now, I just choose what ring to wear for the day (which pretty much just happens when I'm doin' the fancy and going to town). At one point, I thought about getting a wedding ring tattooed, since mine doesn't fit anymore; but it's a lot of money for something that doesn't really matter-- we both know we're married and it doesn't matter if there's a ring there or not.