How to get rid of mats on a cat - PLEASE HELP!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love cats. (Hubby, however... not so much) I've had one long haired cat, and had to sometimes cut mats off him. He was an awesome cat! Ever since then, I've always passed on any long haired cat, in favor of short hair. Now, we only have a cat b/c my 95 y.o. dad (hospice patient) left my home to go to nursing home, leaving his short haired cat behind. If a long haired cat showed up on my doorstep... of course... I'd just have to deal with the long hair!!!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will take my tiny sewing scissors out there tonight and try to trim off the mats, leaving as much hair underneath as I can. It will probably take a week or so, but it will bet done. I feel so bad for him - but why didn't he self groom?!? My indoor cats groomed themselves all the time - I cleaned up enough hair balls to prove it.
My long haired cat groomed himself A LOT, but I didn't see where it helped him. I had to brush him every day, and although he didn't at first, he grew to enjoy the grooming time. The area that would get mats most is the underarms, which I used the mat cutter on, then brushing every day ensured no more mats.

You may have to wear gloves.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, once that bad it needs to be shaved.

I worked at a vet once, and on occasion we would get a cat that we would sedate in order to fully shave.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably like a number 2 buzz cut might work. But idk if the cat would like that much 😂. Sharp teeth & claws plus a fear of the unknown, sounds like a recipe for blood in the making.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Totally... not helpful... I'm being. But my answer to matted hair on a cat: I will never willingly have a long haired cat in my possession!!!
Never say never, just saying.

I swore I wouldn't ever have a cat, then a stray turned up with Bob Marley's dead locks and fleas. He's now top dog in this home.

Latest posts