How to get rid of mats on a cat - PLEASE HELP!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love cats. (Hubby, however... not so much) I've had one long haired cat, and had to sometimes cut mats off him. He was an awesome cat! Ever since then, I've always passed on any long haired cat, in favor of short hair. Now, we only have a cat b/c my 95 y.o. dad (hospice patient) left my home to go to nursing home, leaving his short haired cat behind. If a long haired cat showed up on my doorstep... of course... I'd just have to deal with the long hair!!!

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a barn cat with semi-long hair that is covered with mats. Is there anything I can do besides shaving him to get rid of the mats? It is really bad - on one side he is a solid mat from behind his front leg to in front of his hind leg.

I have tried to tease the mats out, but his fur came with and he ended up with a bald spot. Who knew cats were not attached to their fur very well, lol.

Our barn cats are really friendly, but will only tolerate so much ... they have all their claws and are not afraid to use them.
Hello :)

My lad showed up with Matt's and i just had to cut them out and used a natural oiled soap with a little essentials oils. He wouldn't put up with being bathed so I used a flannel and water then brushed him. He purrs like crazy when I wash and brush him now :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will take my tiny sewing scissors out there tonight and try to trim off the mats, leaving as much hair underneath as I can. It will probably take a week or so, but it will bet done. I feel so bad for him - but why didn't he self groom?!? My indoor cats groomed themselves all the time - I cleaned up enough hair balls to prove it.
My long haired cat groomed himself A LOT, but I didn't see where it helped him. I had to brush him every day, and although he didn't at first, he grew to enjoy the grooming time. The area that would get mats most is the underarms, which I used the mat cutter on, then brushing every day ensured no more mats.

You may have to wear gloves.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When There's a Mat on Your Cat

There he was in the barn,
Sitting there doing no harm.

History is that the cats came from near and from far,
They all had arrived:
Fat cats, skinny cats,
Short cats, tall cats,
Furry cats, smooth cats,
Cats, cats, cats!

And a cat with a mat!
What is with that!?

They arrived and they said "Please give us some food."
"We see that you're busy, and may not be in the mood."

I've been busy, I thought with so many chores,

I haven't paid much attention,
Is there a mat cutting invention?

Although tired, I mustered the strength and went to the market,
There at the door were some food and some blankets!

As I walked through the market I found some gloves,
I thought "I may get scratched as I give him some love."

Then I came across something, there in an isle,
I looked and saw that it was glowing brightly for awhile.

It was a mat cutter, just for pets,
I excitedly shouted "This I must get!"

I paid for the items and rushed out the door,
Sigh, what a simple life, there must be more.

In the barn the cats all got their snack,
Then it was time to groom the one with the mat.

I put on the gloves to prepare for a fight,
And the miracle happened, the cat was alright!

He was more than alright...he purred and he purred, and I snipped and I clipped, and used the mat cutter,
"He loves it!" I said, "He's a purring lover!"

As time went by, the mat was no more, and it will not return,
Because I have the mat cutter!

by: JanetMarie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Incredible! I loved it!!!

Wyo, there's something called Cowboy Magic, a spray and all the LGD people who have GPs swear by it for getting mats and burrs out of dog's long hair. Could be work a shot to use the spray and a mat rake each day, working at it on the surface each time until you've got it all out.

Latest posts