How to get spinach and lettuce seeds to sprout

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For some reason, I cannot get spinach and lettuce seeds to sprout. Is there something I need to do besides planting in seed starting mix and keeping them moist? Light on them or no light?
I have tried planting them in seed starting mix, Jiffy peat pots and potting soil. On a heating mat and without the heating mat. The other seeds I planted at the same time have sprouted, but never the lettuce and spinach. I have tried 3 different brands of spinach seeds, none of them have ever sprouted.

I would like to grow a planter of spinach and a planter of lettuce in my sitting room during the winter. I have south facing windows and a shop light for additional/extended light hours.

Anyone have any advice?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Are your seeds old? Where are you getting them from?

I just put them in the dirt, lightly cover with soil and plant. I have some growing outside now under plastic. Could you be giving them too much water?
Agreed.

Maybe try a test sprouting in a damp paper towel and plastic baggie?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What others said and I agree with you, both can be challenging. They seem to do OK in cool soil temps (below 70 and above 32). Planting too deep and not maintenaning even soil moisture until sprouting is also problematic.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I dont cover lettuce or spinach seeds with soil bc I'm lazy. I use a humidity dome, also because I'm lazy. :gig

Spinach germinates between 40 and 68°F. 55°F is their ideal temperature for germinating. They might not germinate at or over 80°F. Are your seeds too warm?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I will order some fresh seeds. And use a humidity dome. The last packet I tried were from 2020.
I have had very limited success transplanting lettuce, high incidents of transplant shock even after hardening off well. If you have success please share any special transplanting things you've done.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸