How to help keep milk cold while still in the bucket (during milking)?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with free - I must say my "method" may be a bit unrepulsive to some, but I haven't noticed a difference in the milk at all and I actaully want to drink it!

I just milk into the bucket, put a lid on it and set it aside until I'm done with the chores, which is about 10-15 minutes. Now, in the hot summer I'll probably run the milk inside or put it in a cooler, but while the temperature is still comfortable, I don't worry too much.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My aunt puts one of those blue ice pack things in her bucket before she starts milking. To her the milk tastes better if it is cooled down quickly.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd never use one of the gel ice packs in the milk. They are too prone to wear, and when they wear, they can leak gel before you are aware that there is any visible damage to the packet.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
glenolam said:
I'm with free - I must say my "method" may be a bit unrepulsive to some, but I haven't noticed a difference in the milk at all and I actaully want to drink it!

I just milk into the bucket, put a lid on it and set it aside until I'm done with the chores, which is about 10-15 minutes. Now, in the hot summer I'll probably run the milk inside or put it in a cooler, but while the temperature is still comfortable, I don't worry too much.
I do the same! In the hot summer I try to milk last, but it's a few minutes until I can put June away and take the milk to the kitchen.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm a "walk it into the house" between each goat person.... just think of all that "free" exercise!

but i know folks who freeze water bottles and put it in the bucket.. or the ice in a double bucket or cooler... or if your water from the hose is cold that might work too (in the mornings).

i chill the milk quickly by putting it in wide mouthed quart jars and putting them in the freezer.

good luck!
:)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I come home and put the jars in the freezer for an hour or so to cool them off quickly. But usually by the fifth day in the fridge, the milk is tasting "goatie" to me. I then give it to the chickens,or freeze it for makig soap.

Funny thing is now, cow milk from the store tastes really different, like a dired hay sort of flavor.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
All this discussion makes me really glad my stanchion is in the house! I am just a few steps from the fridge. I do have to mop that room daily, but I was having to mop it daily because of the dogs anyways, so there is no difference. I've never had any of the goats potty in that room either.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
All this discussion makes me really glad my stanchion is in the house! I am just a few steps from the fridge. I do have to mop that room daily, but I was having to mop it daily because of the dogs anyways, so there is no difference. I've never had any of the goats potty in that room either.
I have yet to have anyone "potty" while being milked. I suppose it happens, it just hasn't happened to me.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I thought about it long and hard before putting it in there, but it is easier to clean that floor than it is to clean dirty milk!

I have heavy rain here all the time and mud outside and could not figure out how to get clean milk out of a dirty goat, but the room I bring them into has a hot water sink (it is the bathroom!). And I just run the milk to the kitchen around the corner.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Mya used to pee on the stand, had to keep a can of cat litter nearby! And Ginger started this lactation pooping on the stand, often three times in a row! I had to keep a broom nearby, those berries bounce and roll! I think she stopped.... :fl She hasn't dropped any beans in 2-3 days.....