How-to Home Hog Harvest! Details and more about hog harvest '09!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am glad you started a thread on this. I want you to know I showed my kids the pictures. Well all except the last one. They thought the slab on the counter was really cool.

A couple questions --- What is FatBack, and how does it differ from bacon? What do you do with it? I know FC has talked about this before but if you could clarify again?

Is that wire fence in the picture the hot fence. Is that all you used? Seems like they would go right through it.

I have Storeys Guide. I have read it cover to cover a couple times. Thanks for the review.

gina

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quick question. Does pork do well aged or is that just beef & venison?
I got a contact with a processor who does dry aging, and the thought crossed my mind.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They hang sides of beef for 28 days at 35 or so, I believe. It doesn't get cold enough for long enough here to hang outside, so we have to gain useage of a cooler.

I might be able to get a couple of sides of pork (still waiting to hear back) so I thought I'd plan ahead with the processor if it does need aging.

Since it doesn't flat out require it, that sweetens the deal ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OFG, your mailbox is full! I will try to get back on here tonight and read about your hog killin' adventures....I love it when folks do their own butchering. It takes such strength and practicality of mind. :)