How-to Home Hog Harvest! Details and more about hog harvest '09!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
no dumb questions here!

Farmfresh is going to post her Grandma Nettie's recipe. its pork scraps mixed with cornmeal for a kind of 'pork mush'... perfect for breakfast!

oddly there is no 'apple' in it.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, Bourbon Red (BR from now on!) :welcome

How do you band a turkey? Can I use a ziptie? How tight? I have a BR pair that I am hoping will finally breed in the spring at age 2-ish, and I never thought about not being able to identify my experienced (wishing, hoping, dreaming!) gal.

Reinbeau......oh, Rein-----beau!!! We need BR to have the title The Pig Man instead of that ...er.....title he has now.... :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:

How do you band a turkey? Can I use a ziptie? How tight? I have a BR pair that I am hoping will finally breed in the spring at age 2-ish, and I never thought about not being able to identify my experienced (wishing, hoping, dreaming!) gal.

Reinbeau......oh, Rein-----beau!!! We need BR to have the title The Pig Man instead of that ...er.....title he has now.... :rolleyes:
:yuckyuck

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome Bourbon Red! :frow You had best get active on here since we are all going to talk about you anyway. :p

I will get busy and post the Scrapple recipe in the proper recipe section.

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
freemotion said:

We use colored zip ties for marking our birds. If you use them on poults you have to keep a close eye on them as they grow, they can grow into the leg. On adults you can put them on very loose, double the size of the leg.

Steve

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Re: tools

Nope - the saw I use is a 22" meat saw from LEM. Got it at the local TSC. Other than that I make do with a regular 6" kitchen knife and a a shorter paring knife. No point getting too fancy for something if you only use it a couple of times a year. I do all our lambs and calves with the same knives.

Zip ties - Duh-OH! We had never kept turkeys and bred our own. The toms are still easily distinguishable but one morning all the hens looked alike. Live and learn. The good news is that year-old turkeys still taste pretty good!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Back when I had a big flock of laying hens I just bought some commercial leg bands. They are really not all that expensive. That way you can keep better records on eggs laying totals and other things. For example I trap nested each of my Ameraucanas to find the ones that laid the truest blue eggs and then blue banded them as breeders. :D

Latest posts