How to make candied watermelon

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This recipe takes quite a few hours. Its time consuming, but worth it!

Makes about 2 1/2 cups of candy, depending on the size of the melon.

1 small watermelon washed
1 Tbs sea salt salt
2 Cups granulated sugar, plus more for coating
2 Cups water, plus more for cooking
2-3 sprigs fresh mint leaves
Cut the watermelon into 4 to 6 wedges. Remove the pink flesh and set aside for eating later.

Take each rind wedge and scrape as much pink flesh away from the white as possible and peel away the green outer skin. Youll be left with the white part of the rind. Cut into chunks.

Place all the cut white rinds into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes. A pink-orange foam will float to the surface. Drain and rinse the rinds.

Clean out the saucepan. Place the rinds back in the pan and cover with water. Add the 1 Tbs salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.

Clean out the saucepan. Dissolve 2 Cups of sugar in 2 Cups of water, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the mint. Add the rinds. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until softened, but still firm. Drain the rinds from the syrup, reserving the syrup for other uses if you wish.

Simmer the rinds in syrup

Line a baking sheet with parchment, and sprinkle sugar over the parchment. Scatter the drained rinds across the sugar. Dry in a 250 degree oven (stirring occasionally) for about 2 hours, or until they are slighty tacky on the outside and hold their shape. Cool partly and roll in sugar to coat. Store finished in a jar of sugar syrup.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now, that sounds just tasty! And you store these in sugar syrup?
The candy sounds like it'd be almost like a gum drop in texture...I bet it's really fresh tasting with the mint, too!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a lay down the street from me when I was a kid who used to pickle the rinds. She would give them to me by the quart jar and I would gobble them as fast as my mom let me. I tried them again as an adult (different person made it) and they were aweful LOL

I am going to try this. It sounds so yummy.

Thank you for posting!!!

chatreed

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate this recipe,and watermelon can be candied,so great

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Now, that sounds just tasty! And you store these in sugar syrup?
The candy sounds like it'd be almost like a gum drop in texture...I bet it's really fresh tasting with the mint, too!
It's okay to store them in sugary syrup in the fridge - as they always get consumed very quickly

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The recipe sounds delicious but is there any way to cut back on the sugar? I'd like to introduce this to our canning endevours (sp?) but my mom is diabetic .

Dawn

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So after we simmer for 45 minutes.... Do we simmer again?

And.... erm.

What if we dont have parchment paper? Could I just put it directly on the sheet? (Yes, I'm already halfway through and just noticing this :rolleyes: )

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made some watermelon pickles once. They were delicious; and I'd love to make some more. But this looks wonderful too!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have some chocolate mint in my garden. Do you think that would be good, or make them taste wierd?