How to make gravy from fired chicken?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I always hear 'fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy' but how do you make gravy when you are frying your chicken??? :hu

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
This isn't traditional gravy (made with meat drippings) but here is a recipe for fried chicken & cream gravy .

Since oil conveys flavor, I guess this recipe basically uses "chicken-infused" oil instead of drippings.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Dace, I make my gravy with flour and some of the grease I fried my chicken in. I don't have a recipe per say but I drain most of the grease off into something else, put in about 2 tablespoons of flour and brown the flour. It should be a very thick mixture so you may have to spoon some of the grease you poured up back into the flour or add more flour to make the mixture a good thick textue When I say browned I take mine to the almost burned stage. Add water and stir. I just get a big glass of water and pour about half of it into the mixture, stir and if its still to thick I just keep adding water until it is the texture I want.
This probably makes no sense what-so-ever. Gravy to me is something you kind of have to play with until you discover your own "This is the way I like it" mixture.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I roll my chicken in seasoned flour. Put some oil in an iron skillet. Get the oil hot. Put in the chicken. Let it get crispy brown then turn the heat down and let it finish cooking. After the chicken is done put it on a plate. Now here is the hard part (showing is easier than telling). Depending on how much gravy you want to make. I usually have about 1/8 cup (more or less depending again on how much you want to make) of oil in my skillet. Pour the remaining flour you have left over from the chicken into the skillet. Now you are going to make a rue for your gravy. Stir the flour and oil mixture until the flour turns a light to golden brown. When your rue is done pour you milk into the skillet. Continue to stir until the gravy thickens.
Hope this helps. I can show you better than telling you in writting. If you know what I mean. It is a trial and error sorta thing. It helps is you have an old country cook like Me (believe me I'm old) to show you. So much easier for the person trying to learn.
Nothing like fried chicken, mashed potatoes and milk gravy. Yum.
Hope this helps you.
This is called white gravy or milk gravy.

Dace once you learn how to make homeade gravy you won't like the canned gravy anymore.
If you can watch Paula Deen making Country Fried Steaks she makes gravy on that show.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Coppy and 2dream :)

I am pretty handy in a kitchen and I can make a mean gravy....I have just never made one from just fat/oil, you know? I have he meat juices type gravy down pat.....but this is foreign to me.

I understand exactly what you are both saying and I will let you know how it turns out.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Gravy turned out quite well...it was not quite perfect (to me) but DH and kids said it was awesome.
Only trouble is that I made WAAAYYYYYYY too much, so we will really be mashed potato & gravied (yes, that is a made up word!) out by the end of the week!

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you keep it up you'll learn how much to make. Isn't homemade gravy great!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Can you ever really have too much gravy? ;)

I'm glad it came out well.

Latest posts