How to make hard cider ??

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have an abundance of natural non treated apples this year, so I was wondering......exactly how do I go about making hard cider. I have some apples ready to go for ACV, but go to thinking, we could be making hard cider also. I know skr8pn has made some, anyone else? Skr8pn--care to chime in??

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*rolls eyes* The way I do it is to get apple cider, pour enough into a pot to make hot cider, put the rest in the fridge and forget about it. Later, auntie stops by and pokes it and smells it and tells me I accidentally made hard cider. Again.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
*rolls eyes* The way I do it is to get apple cider, pour enough into a pot to make hot cider, put the rest in the fridge and forget about it. Later, auntie stops by and pokes it and smells it and tells me I accidentally made hard cider. Again.
...and of course you have to figure out a way to get rid of your mistake!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made some last year. Still enjoying it. I googled and watched most of my info from YouTube. I am by no means an expert but I know you can do it a couple ways.

1 by using the natural yeast that is on the apple peel.

2 by adding champagne yeast.

I did the second way. I ordered my yeast on line and an ounce or so is more than enough. I think you only need 1/4 tsp per gallon. Anyways I also ordered plastic air locks for like a buck each. This is also optional.

One batch I made was brown sugar, the other honey. I know skr8pn used raisins.

Relatively easy and good results.

Mine kinda taste like a really dry apple wine now a year later. It's wonderful with some 7up or ginger ale mixed in.

g

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
CAn you direct me to a few links on youtube? I have slowinternet andsearching for good ones will take alot of time. If you have some that are good, I can start loading them at night and be able to watch them in the morning.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, at the advice of a well known, frustrated botany professor cum R.N, I bought an apple crusher and apple press for this years harvest. :barnie

I get apples every two years and this year is going to be a good one. I got nearly 5 bushel from one tree the last time I harvested them and expect to have plenty of cider and vinegar (I drink honey with ACV nearly every day) so making my own ACV is important. (with apologies to Mrs. Bragg who charges $4 for one pint of her ACV). :ep
I'll let you know how it goes. Once I get that Kithen Queen wood cook stove hooked up and working, I plan to do the canning and cooking in that building with the help of the Number 1 Ladies Cooking and Canning Club President, Woodswitch (as noted above)

Trim sends
//bt//

Latest posts