How to save money on your Holiday package shipping

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If your Holiday gift plans include shipping off packages to family members, you might want to consider doing price comparisons on line before heading off to the UPS store. Some of these companies have got so big they are no longer competitive.

At Cottage Craft Works we are having to continually check shipping cost between the different carriers. We have discovered some will cost you double to three times as much for the same package going to the same location. Often the cost of shipping can add up to be as much or more than what the contents cost.

For small or long boxes we have found the US Postal service to be the most economical especially using their free flat rate boxes. We can ship a 2lb box for $5.20 UPS would charge $22. and Fed Ex would charge $14. For International shipping US Postal Service Priority mail is just hard to beat. Take those savings off several packages and leave you a bit extra for your own Christmas.

Also be careful with the strip mall pack and ship stores they are convenient, but with a premium price for that convenience. Ship early where you can ship at the lowest rates, and check the difference between shipping to a residence of business address. For Preppers living out in distant places the difference can be substantial. Some businesses don't mind accepting packages for their employees or dedicated customers.

These are the web sites to check cost for shipping. You no longer have to try and figure out the complicated girth measurements, just enter the box size and weight. Log on to https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request to find the UPS estimated cost, then Log on to http://postcalc.usps.gov/ to check the US Postal Service estimated Cost and Log on to https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en to check Federal Express estimated cost, use the quick estimator or you will need to create an account.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Also be careful with the strip mall pack and ship stores they are convenient, but with a premium price for that convenience.
Yeah, that $2 we make on ground ship Fedex packages has us laughing all the way to the bank....NOT! LOL

Not all private but authorized shippers are rip offs, but many are. I just didn't want to get lumped with the thieves :D . Our price is usually a dollar or two less than people are quoted online when they go to Fedex.com

Here are a few tips that might help.

Know the WHOLE address AND the phone number. The phone number is always requested since the drivers need it if there is a problem with the delivery.

If you can ship to a business instead of a residence, you can save $2-$6 on a Fedex ground shipment. The further away you are from a business district, the more you pay. And by business I mean a real brick & mortar in a business area, not some side business in your basement.

Instead of sending 3 small boxes to the same house, just get one big box. I had a lady who wanted separate boxes to each grandchild sent to the same house. It cost her around $40. Had she just put it in one box it would have cost more like $20.

If you ship a lot, get your own account. That way you can print out your own labels and all you have to do is drop the box at the closest Fedex drop point. No waiting. If you only ship once in a while, don't bother. Volume shipping is discounted. If you have no volume it will cost you more than going to a shipper.

If you can box it yourself, please do. Shippers MUST CHARGE for the materials used to pack your stuff. The materials and the time for the clerk to pack your box ARE NOT FREE. EXPECT TO PAY AND LOSE THE ATTITUDE! My time is not free, ordering boxes aren't free, tape isn't free and bubble wrap doesn't grow on trees. If you don't want to pay a markup on shipping stuff, do it your damn self!

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will never use USPS again, shipped 5 packages with them and only 1 showed up. When I talked to the post office about it they asked if I paid for the tracking thing,( is that return receipt?) I said no they said well it's not our problem then. My wife shipped 3 packages none ever showed up. I use UPS now.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
beerman..I hope they show up....have had some problems with ups shipping it to the sender....too a bit of wrangling...but worked itself out in the end..
patience...I have had packages show up so late I had completely forgotten about them...

now back to the question:
Think small and light when you are shopping...It is all about the weight and size of package....we have grandkids in england...and have experinced some you want WHAT moments...
also package..well with extra padding..I have whatched with my own eyes how much they car about those packages...going on to planes..

I hqve sold my share on ebay...have packaged and sent A LOT of packages

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When my nieces were younger & I mailed them Christmas presents, I found that USPS was always cheaper, which came as a surprize to me. Fortunately, nothing was ever lost. :D

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I do 9/10ths of my ebay shipping through usps with no problem but I do the deliv. confirmation. It is almost always the least expensive for smaller items.

Latest posts