How to save money while MOVING across the country?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know the basics - pack and take as little as possible, pack food so we don't have to eat at restaurants, sleep at a safe rest stop instead of hotels (although we'll be opting for cheap hotels instead of that one).

What else can be done?

The move is from Colorado to Oregon, in August.
We expect to rent a moving truck. Don't see how to get around that. Probably a 15-footer since much of the furniture is not coming with us.
We expect to tow the car behind the truck, it's cheaper than driving it separately.
We expect to move the livestock (chickens and rabbits) with us as that is cheaper than selling it all and starting over.
We are joining AAA, the discount that gives us on the moving truck is more than the cost of joining for a year.

I'd love to hear other ideas - even wacky ones!

We've considered mailing a lot of our items instead of trucking them, anyone know if that's a cost savings singnificant enough to handle all the bother of doing it?

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i've moved cross-country. twice. 'cos i'm an idiot like that. :D

we used ABF u-pack instead of a moving truck. basically, you cram as much of your stuff as possible into the front of a 40' trailer, tetris-ing your items to the best of your ability, and then put up a partition to divide your stuff from the rest of the trailer. you pay by the linear foot, and the trailer is fairly tall, so you can put things like couches in vertical positions to save linear space. depending on how much space you think you'll need, this can potentially save you a lot of money, but you'd have to research it for your particular needs. also, they are not a moving company - they will not help you with anything, and it's your responsibility to pad your items well enough that they don't get smashed or knocked around, because the rest of the trailer is filled with commercial items and driven by a regular truck driver, not a mover. dunno if this helps, but it's an option that a lot of people don't know about :)

then you could drive your own car (save on gas money) instead of towing it. depending on your car, you might even be able to tow one of those small little trailers behind it if needed.

we also tried to drive for at least 16 hours a day, to minimize the actual number of days on the road and cut out some motel stays. always go for cheapie hotels or motels... and if you've got smaller livestock/pets with you in the car, ask the cheapie hotels if they'll allow pets even if they have signage saying they don't. a lot of them are in so much trouble financially now, that they are allowing pets even if they haven't updated their signs. hotels were MUCH cheaper the second, later time we moved cross-country. if you get a price quote you don't like, try somewhere else. (btw i don't actually know how far it really is from CO to OR, so, if hotels aren't necessary then nevermind :D )

did you know you aren't allowed to pump your own gas in oregon? :D just fyi. they get mad if you try. ask me how i know. :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Once you move, check the tire pressure in your car ;) Moving to and from Colorado will change the pressure and wear tires faster. So money saver there!

If you know when and where you will stop, maybe see if you can find someone to put you up for the night. Friend of a friend? Somewhere trusting here?

Wet towels and rolled down windows - try to cool without using AC. It'll be HOT in August and AC burns gas like crazy.

Mailing is more expensive, from last time I researched. The only time it makes sense is overseas to bypass taking it on a plane. Since you will need a truck ANYWAY, might as well use it. And use every bit of it. The better you play tetris, the fewer things break, too. And make sure the weight is even on both sides and heavier towards the front.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would get a job for a company that pays for relocation. Last time I moved to a new state, it was all paid for by the company.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would check the prices on the PODS or PACK RAT shipping containers.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ABF u-pack instead of a moving truck.
best.
idea.
ever.

i did this twice and its soooo worth it. make sure you get a ramp. easy peasy.

(but dont pack the chickens - ha!)

spend the $35 to stay at motel 6 - and some of the holiday inn express have free "breakfast" - but hey even free coffee is a good deal!

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sell anything and everything that you aren't crazy about before you move. Don't hold back.

We moved across the country almost 3 years ago, right after Hurricane Ike...which took our power for 11 days. We packed in the dark and the heat *$#%@! fun! :barnie Anyway when we plugged in our great big (heavy) double door fridge up here we found out the power surge from that storm cooked it. :rolleyes: Now it is just a glorified beer and animal food/rx fridge...that takes up too much space in the garage, and cost a fortune to move 3,000 + miles.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've moved across the country THREE times, LOL. Don't even ask why. ;)

Good tips here. If you decide to go with truck/trailer rental, call ALL the companies. Ryder tends to be cheaper than U-Haul but ...

I made a spreadsheet. If your dates are flexible, check different dates. Also look for different cities on drop-off and pick-up. I've actually saved a ton of money by putting in another city 60 miles away. Ask about discounts, like you mentioned with AAA. Then ... Call the "other guys" and tell them what another company offered. I've had them knock off hundreds and give extra moving days. GET IT ALL IN WRITING from them in advance. ALL the perks. If they "forget" call and remind them and ask for a new email. Oh, and try calling the actual location you are picking up from, not just the national number. They won't often drop the price but might throw in extras. Also, I have rented the truck from one company and the car dolly/trailer from another. It's not usually a package deal so you can save money like that.

I sometimes find cheaper hotels on Expedia, Hotwire, etc. but sometimes the hotels actually offer cheaper rates by calling direct. Personally I think it's better to have a hotel planned BEFORE you get there. You might have to pay more if you get tired on a long stretch where there is only little town within a three hour drive (dunno if your route is like this but mine was).

And if the hotel offers free breakfast, do take advantage of it. Especially if it's a REAL breakfast. :)

The last time I moved, I bought a trailer. I figured I could convert it for a livestock trailer (right now it is my goat shed on wheels) and it only cost me $50 more on Craigist than I was going to have to pay to rent one.

Be safe!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing. Most places have these little free magazine-type deals with hotel ads by city. They are often set up on little stands in Truck Stops and McDonald's -- especially on highways outside the city. They are regional and usually cover a three-state or so area. That is often a good place to find the best hotel deals. If you can, move during the week since weekends often don't carry the special rates or tack on a $10 or so surcharge.