how to search for topic on this forum plz?

sunflowerenvy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
hi i have not real used this forum yet. and instead of starting a new topic is there a search area item here like it is on the byc? like i am looking how to made home made soaps n laundry soap and softner n what to do with your pastic items [bottles] from stores? thank u laura

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Search is in the same place as on the BYC pages, the fourth item from the left on that blue-gray bar across the screen. (Between where it says "sufficient self forum, living a more self sufficient and sustainable lifestyle" and where it tells you who you are logged in as and when your last visit was.

Click search (between 'rules' and 'my page') and you will get the same search interface as BYC

Good luck, have fun, welcome :),

Pat

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK. I get how to search for a thread, but once the search gives me some options and the thread is like 250 pages, is there a way to search within that thread. For example what I am trying to figure out right now is, should I buy a meat grinder and start grinding my meat instead of buying it already done. I did a search for grinding meat and one for meat grinder and both returned results, but none of the thread topics had anything to do with what I am looking for, so I am assuming that meat grinding is mentioned somewhere in the thread. The problem I am having is that if the info I am looking for is on like page 132 I have to read all the way to that page to find what I am looking for. Am I missing something? I'd hate to re-post a question that has been posted a dozen times already if I can just search and find the info easily.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dreaming of Chickens said:
OK. I get how to search for a thread, but once the search gives me some options and the thread is like 250 pages, is there a way to search within that thread. For example what I am trying to figure out right now is, should I buy a meat grinder and start grinding my meat instead of buying it already done. I did a search for grinding meat and one for meat grinder and both returned results, but none of the thread topics had anything to do with what I am looking for, so I am assuming that meat grinding is mentioned somewhere in the thread. The problem I am having is that if the info I am looking for is on like page 132 I have to read all the way to that page to find what I am looking for.
DoC, you asked: "I get how to search for a thread, but once the search gives me some options and the thread is like 250 pages, is there a way to search within that thread?"

One thing I want to say is this gets extremely difficult with lengthy threads. And one reason that threads get so lengthy - like 25, 50, 100, or more pages! - is that people often use them just for chat, and the thread can then get way off on tangents.

That can be fun, of course, for the people posting. It's informal, chatty, and not restrained. But the thread can become sorta useless for those looking for information... useless and frustrating.

Would there be any way to keep some kinds of threads here on SSForum on-topic? Ones that start out as being about "how to" or something technical in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I think the web is a great place to socialize... to chat, have fun, make jokes, and all that. I would never want to see that aspect disappear.

People's own journals about their SS lives often meander - and why shouldn't they? That seems to be what the people who start them want to do with those threads - be social.

Anyhow, I often share DoC's frustration about long threads... that frequently lose focus.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
You definitely have a point Joel! I must admit that I am an offender. :hide It really can be frustrating to find specific info. I believe though, that once we are switched over to the new format, the search function will be greatly improved. The new format allows searching within a specific thread and should help narrow down the results. :thumbsup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
W/my sense of humor, guilty as charged. :hide