How to spoil a perfectly good cow

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Also a word of caution about essential oils (or all oils really): If for some reason you get too much on her or on yourself somewhere you don't want it, use OIL to take it off, not water. Grab whatever oil you have handy, olive oil, vegetable oil, etc, and use that to get it off. The oils will bind together to sooth the issue, where as if you put water on it, it will only emulsify the oil on whatever you already don't want it on, and make it worse.
Good to know, thanks!

Nonesuch Farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We use mint on cows udders all the time to increase circulation... there is even a commercial product "Uddermint" so I'm sure it's safe.

We use fans for the mini-Jerseys... the Dexters just don't ever seem fazed by the heat.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question.... Is she in a hutch??? if so..... make sure you put a cinderblock or something underneath the back end of it so its jacked up off the ground about a foot or more so it can ventilate more and get some air circulation in it. Those darn things are HOT BOXES in the summer no matter how warm it is. My girls (where i work) are HOT HOT HOT> When it gets this warm with all the humidity i feed 1 quart of electrolytes between milk feeding just to make sure their fluid intake stays up. It wont hurt them at all, they still drink all of their milk and they love it. I gave them all a total of 3 quarts of COLD electrolytes yesterday split into 3 feedings between the 3 feedings of milk. Or sometimes i just put a bottle in the bottle holder full and some nurse it all day long and some slug it down right away. I figure if they drink it right down.... they needed it!!! Calves actually need more caloric intake when its hot like this so we uped the milk intake slightly also.

back to your original question........... NOT SPOILED AT ALL!!! :D Anything to keep her cool and comfortable!!!!!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd200 said:
Question.... Is she in a hutch??? if so..... make sure you put a cinderblock or something underneath the back end of it so its jacked up off the ground about a foot or more so it can ventilate more and get some air circulation in it. Those darn things are HOT BOXES in the summer no matter how warm it is. My girls (where i work) are HOT HOT HOT> When it gets this warm with all the humidity i feed 1 quart of electrolytes between milk feeding just to make sure their fluid intake stays up. It wont hurt them at all, they still drink all of their milk and they love it. I gave them all a total of 3 quarts of COLD electrolytes yesterday split into 3 feedings between the 3 feedings of milk. Or sometimes i just put a bottle in the bottle holder full and some nurse it all day long and some slug it down right away. I figure if they drink it right down.... they needed it!!! Calves actually need more caloric intake when its hot like this so we uped the milk intake slightly also.

back to your original question........... NOT SPOILED AT ALL!!! :D Anything to keep her cool and comfortable!!!!!
Thanks for this rd! She was in a hutch, and I never thought of a cinder block for air circulation! The barn is done now, so she's loving her freedom! Lots of great shady places to hide from the sun throughout the day! :) Would I use electrolytes on her (she's 18 months)? Where do you get them, or can I make them HM? Her boyfriend should be here tomorrow night, and he's only 5 months old, so I'm thinking I should keep some on hand (or at least make sure I have the ingredients for HM) ;) Thanks again for the great tips!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
Good thing is if you spoil a dairy cow, you still get yogurt, cottage cheese, and possibly some cheese...... :lol:
:yuckyuck