How to start a sour dough starter

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So Dace, what are you doing with your starter now? I am assuming it turned out? Are you keeping it in the fridge etc? have you found a SD recipe that works?

I kinda want to keep this thread alive until the end so we can all use it as a reference.

Me? When you started your starter, i was on my third attempt this year. now I am on my fourth and it looks like it might be a winner. so hopefuly by the time the kids go back to school, i will have some SD bread for them. i am also making some amish friendship bread starter.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ahhh...No. I have a real mess on my hands :(

I now have 2 jars of starter and 1 in the frig. None of which are working. This dang stuff is so persnickity!

When one starts to double as it should, instead of tossing the 1/2 I pour out, I started saving some. Then the main jar goes sideways, so I pull out the one that I stashed in the frig and I try to revive it....blah blah blah.

Now I see why it is suggested to just buy a stinking starter!
ORchick was sending me one but I think the Fed confiscated it :gig
So she is resending.

I think I will go get another truck load of rye.:barnie

By the way...my 8 yr old is sitting here insisting that I am spelling frig wrong...she claims it is fridge. Who is correct????

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Dace said:
By the way...my 8 yr old is sitting here insisting that I am spelling frig wrong...she claims it is fridge. Who is correct????
I think it is "fridge", unless of course you were expressing frustration with the frig'in starter. ;)

I think you just need to be patient. :/ Not easy to hear, but it sounds like you are on the right track. I think it took at least a few weeks (storing it at room temp and feeding it regularly) before I could bake with my starter, even though it was doubling regularly. Could have been a month before I got any good reliable bread rising out of it. I honestly don't remember.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Dace said:
Dang little smarty pants!

Thanks...patience is a virtue
Who me? :lol: :hide

Patience is one of those things I have a really hard time with. All this SS stuff has actually taught me some patience with the things I try to accomplish (some times I just get half-hearted, but keep trying), but I'm still not very patient when I have to wait in line at the store. :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Dace said:
Dang little smarty pants!

Thanks...patience is a virtue
Who me? :lol: :hide
Haha..no my 8 yr old is the smarty pants :rolleyes:

I am a work in process. I am very patient with people, but highly impatient with processes....like stinkin' sourdough or learning to knit. Although ignorant people do make me snap.

Ok I am all around impatient.

Gina....the problem is not the recipe....it is user error :/
Thanks anyway :) Hey....why don't you start one then we can commiserate.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:hugs

Like I said, this is my 4th time this summer. Last year I tried twice before the cold weather came.

FWIW, I have heard from som 'experts'that sourdough (once you make the actual bread-that it takes forever sometimes for the bread to rise. This may or may not be a bad thing--depending on whether you want the slow fermentation. I'll keep you posted-if my internet holds out--been having major problems with the server the last few weeks.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes MTN....do keep me posted here.

I am going to try the no knead SD bread that I posted the other day. It seems to have gotten good results!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
If it makes you guys feel any better, James Beard (the bread guru guy) wrote that he didn't think sourdough was worth the trouble. I get the feeling he didn't stick with it long enough to yield any good results.

It took months for my starter to make decent bread. I like sourdough enough that I was willing to eat the so-so loaves that came at the beginning. Once the starter takes off though . . . well, it is worth all the disappointment and "wasted" flour and time getting things going. At least, that is my opinion. :) Obviously not Mr. Beard's.