How to start a sour dough starter

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes--that is the best sight I have found for sourdough.

Ooooooh, Dace, if you can get a gf sd starter going, you are going to be famous around here!!!!

I am the only one avoiding gluten right now in my household (but I am avoiding refined carbs altogether), but was thinking the sourdough might be easier for my ds to digest. We are still not sure if he is gluten intolerant or not, but has issues that we call "punched gut syndrome" if he eats alot of pancakes and some other things.

Being a kid, it's hard (in our world) to give up bread, since neding to take a lunch to school, but if he can digest sourdough more readily, it's worth a shot. If you develop a gf version, I'm sure there will be lots of us who wil l want some of your starter!!!!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I looked it up and sour dough with 4 ingredients is too much work, I would prefer to get my California marijuana card and just deal with hemp like most of the people on this forum.

BB_marijuana_card.jpg

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
XP....you are a goofball!

MTN.... My 18 yr old takes lettuce wraps for
lunch and my 7 yr old just takes random stuff, GF rice cakes w/peanut butter or slices of cheese and turkey, har boiled eggs etc. But some GF SD would be a huge hit here too!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, got your PM; thanks. I'll feed the starter a few times over the next couple of days, to make sure it is nice and lively, and then dehydrate some for you. I'm glad to share, as it was originally shared with me.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey Dace, here is my favorite sourdough website/forum . I can't find the starter recipe right now that I used, but I'm pretty sure it was as follows:
2 parts white unbleached all purpose flour
1 part rye flour
3 parts water
That is what I replenish it with every time I use it, so I think it is a safe bet to say that that is what I started it with. I would not use chlorinated water if you have a choice. Also, I think getting the best quality flour you can helps.

If I remember correctly you want to just keep adding fresh ingredients for a few days, once a day, then when you get some bubbles started, then you can take some out every time you add extra. The volume of ingredients you choose to add isn't such a big deal (as long as you add the same amount every day). . . it just determines how fast you fill your container (should be glass, ideally, or plastic). Once it starts bubbling, you don't want to fill more than halfway or you will get overflow. Once you are getting doubling, I would feed for another week, every day (taking some out every day and replacing it with fresh ingredients). Once it is over a week old, you can probably start to use it, but it might be weak and might need a long time to rise bread. It will get stronger with time.

Rye tends to form less gluten in the bread making process, but it still will form some. I'm not sure about making gluten free bread, because you traditionally rely on gluten to build structure in the bread (get it to rise). I guess there are ways around that, but I don't know anything about it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks DM...I love that site!

I just need to get some rye flour and I am good to go. I was reading that I should start with 100% rye (or WW) then trade it out for white. So that is what I will probably do.....it is just for the first several days, then begin adding the white (which has less flora, so the good ones won't have to constantly battle to remain in the majority....which was news to me).

I am getting excited! ORchick is going to send me some starter too, so if I can't make it work on my own, I have a back up plan :woot

I will still search for a GF version.....I am sure it will be a combination of flours that I would need. I will report back when I have time to do some looking.

As I understand the primary beastie in SD is lactobacillius, so does that mean I should add some kefir or whey to jump start things?

Forgive the spelling....my spell checker is not working!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I found it Dace! The starter recipe and protocol . I didn't actually weigh out my ingredients, I just measure with a measuring cup (I use 1/3 cup white flour, 1/6 cup rye, 1/2 cup water) and it works just fine. Call me lazy. ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I had no trouble with part white, part rye, but do what makes sense to you. I don't think 100% rye would cause any problems. :hu

I wouldn't add anything like keffir.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Interesting that the last recipe uses water keffir. I also noticed that some people do recommend yogurt in the starter, so it will take faster.

What ingredients are in the GF bread you are using now that you like (assuming you are buying GF bread right now?) What is it about those recipes that doesn't look very appealing to you?