How to start a sour dough starter

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol: :gig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :gig

Darn! My card has expired!

But seriously. That looks like me (minus the squid and glasses) WHERE the hell did you get that picture?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Interesting that the last recipe uses water keffir. I also noticed that some people do recommend yogurt in the starter, so it will take faster.

What ingredients are in the GF bread you are using now that you like (assuming you are buying GF bread right now?) What is it about those recipes that doesn't look very appealing to you?
I don't buy GF bread...we just don't eat bread. Mostly the stuff is pale and very dense and blech!

Moslty none of those sites/recipes look good because a lot of them have added stuff like brown sugar and other things which would make it not really SD. I can make GF bread, it doesn't have to be SD, but I figure that if I am on a DS quest I should at least explore any potential GF options. Also some of those recipes admitted that they were still a work in progress.

I know that Free has said that some people who cant handle bread can handle SD....I need to ask her to explain that.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK, I hear ya Dace! I'm not sure I would be interested in bread made from rice flour, etc. either. :/

I think the reason some people can eat sourdough, but not regular bread has to do with the glycemic index? Sourdough doesn't spike your blood sugar. But maybe there is also more going on?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
xpc said:
I looked it up and sour dough with 4 ingredients is too much work, I would prefer to get my California marijuana card and just deal with hemp like most of the people on this forum.

http://www.grizzlybeers.com/xpc/pics/BB_marijuana_card.jpg
Hey is that what those cards look like? Can you make one for me? :p

A bit off subject but every other Craigslist add around here is for prop 215. They even deliver. Jeesh, I'm in the wrong business.

g

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't add any kefir to the sourdough starter. I thought it would be a good idea to add milk once - more for the yeastie beasties to feed on. It ended up a sour milk, horrible, stinky mess. There is enough in the flour, it doesn't need added milk. Although, that said, I wonder if a bit of whey in the initial mixture mightn't speed things along?
On another note, several of my German baking books mention rye starter, and certainly German sourdough rye bread is delicious. They also suggest that trying to keep a starter at home is futile, and one should always just go down to the corner bakery, and beg a bit from the baker :lol:.
The nice thing about a starter is that you can make it into any kind you want. A starter made with white flour can easily be fed with rye or wh. wh., and there you have it, a rye or whole wheat starter. Or you could keep part of it in one container in its "pure" state, and experiment with another part. Mine is, most of the time, an unbleached flour starter; I lived close to San Francisco for most of my life, and like the SF sourdough loaves.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Here you go guys...for anyone who is interested:
Thank you Free for the link!

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/digestive-disorders/620-going-with-the-grain.html

ENCOURAGING FINDINGS ON SOURDOUGH BREAD
A study published in February, 2004 in Applied and Environmental Microbiology with the tantalizing title "Sourdough Bread Made from Wheat and Nontoxic Flours and Started with Selected Lactobacilli Is Tolerated in Celiac Sprue Patients," describes the results of an Italian research team which, encouraged by preliminary findings of their earlier work in vitro, designed an in vivo experiment to test their findings. The team's premise was that lactobacilli, chosen for their ability to hydrolyze or sever protein (gliadin) fractions might be key in processing wheat flour so that its toxic properties would be neutralized and therefore not harmful to celiac patients.

Their experiment included 17 subjects, all celiac patients who had been consuming gluten-free diets for at least two years and no longer exhibiting symptoms. The experimental bread was made from a combination of wheat (Triticum aestivum), oat, millet and buckwheat flours, 30 percent of which was wheat. The flour was mixed with a "broth" of four lab-obtained lactobacilli, a dose of baker's yeast and tap water in a continuous high-speed mixer. When the dough was allowed to ferment at about body temperature for 24 hours, almost all of the toxic peptide fractions in the wheat protein had been hydrolized. The bread was then baked and fed to the celiac volunteers (who also bravely ate breads made with plain baker's yeast as "controls"). After consuming the simple yeasted bread, analysis of the volunteers' gut permeability was made, which showed a change in permeability normally associated with celiac response. No such response was noted when the volunteers ate the 24-hour fermented sourdough bread. The authors of the study are cautiously enthusiastic about the results of this "novel bread biotechnology" and its implications for celiac patients.

The results of this study have been criticized by some as simplistic based on the premise that gut permeability is not the best (or only) indicator that damage may have been done by consuming the sourdough bread. Critics also surmise that only the four species of lactobacilli chosen by the researchers will perform the required protein hydrolysis. In other words, "Don't try this at home." While it remains uncertain as to whether or not undisclosed damage may have occurred by consuming the sourdough bread, it is actually a small miracle that the laboratory study worked as well as it did.

Native lactobacilli colonies found in mature sourdough cultures can easily number in the dozens, and could easily include the four chosen by the researchers (one of which was the common sourdough organism L. sanfranciscenis). Lactobacilli are, after all, very common, mostly benign, often downright necessary, creatures, living on and in us as well as on decaying plant matter. In an established sourdough culture they form a stable and self-supporting relationship with one or more families of native yeast fungi. Bakers familiar with sourdough cultures also know that the relationship between the microorganisms and the types of flour used with them is important and affects the outcomes in the bread--rye culture works best with rye, Kamut culture with Kamut, and so on, indicating that the symbiosis is more complex than we might think.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really enjoy having a sourdough starter. Mine was started from just bread flour and water. I didn't weigh either, just measured 1 cup each flour and water.

I bake every Friday for farmers market sales on Saturday. My sourdough always sells out first - 10 loaves.

After baking on Fridays, I feed the starter and put it in the fridg until the following week. On Thursday I get it out, feed it, then feed again before bedtime. Friday mornings it's ready to go, plenty to make the 10 loaves (5 batches/recipes).

ETA: Sourdough makes great pancakes, waffles, batter coating, etc.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I wanted to address that article I posted....it is saying that they think the SD was more easily digested by celiac patients due to the 4 lactobacilli that were added. With kefir being chock full of lacto b....can't I add some of the whey in with my water?

Thoughts? I would also think that adding the whey would speed up the fermenting process.

Free?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
so if i get a sourdough started...

where do i get grains to grind? i need to get a grinder to lol.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
abifae said:
so if i get a sourdough started...

where do i get grains to grind? i need to get a grinder to lol.
I can get grains at my local health foodie store....I don't have a grinder though. Hubby bought me one for Christmas, but the sales lady talked him into more of an 'all purpose' meat grinder rather than something that would grind wheat :rolleyes:

I love helpful salespeople. Not.

Latest posts