How to start hunting?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Still a great bargain when you consider that your gun, clothing, equipment can be used year after year and your meat will be free of cost, other than these initial expenses. Not to mention it is lean and healthy meat. ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yep. Just pointing out that the first year will not be cheap. If it were me, I'd want a complete list of costs before deciding if I wanted to jump into it. Better yet, I'd find someone who would let me go along for the ride while I decided...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All natural too, unless you live in an industrial area where the deer are grazing on chemical soaked grass.

I think you've been given great advice here, soybean.

You might also want to look into trapping. Little cheaper to get into, considering you can do it with cheap lightweight steel cable and don't have to sit... and sit... and sit in the cold to bring something home.

You do still need to wear blaze orange, ANYtime you go in the woods, even with just a camera. Too many folks get shot around here because they aren't wearing it, or wearing enough.

In MS, we have no tagging laws, not every state has them. You do have to have a hunter safety course here, which covers a lot of basics, not just safety stuff.
Find a local hunter who will take you under his wing, hang out at a local processor or a hunting type store to make contacts.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
All natural too, unless you live in an industrial area where the deer are grazing on chemical soaked grass.
Or a bunch of conventionally grown crops. :rolleyes:

I think you've been given great advice here, soybean.

You do still need to wear blaze orange, ANYtime you go in the woods, even with just a camera. Too many folks get shot around here because they aren't wearing it, or wearing enough.
Glad I just read this! I'm about to head out snowshoeing and had forgotten DH's warning that we have a special antlerless gun hunt going on this week...

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well my grandfather hunts, but he's starting to get up there in age now and doesn't hunt as often. He's already gone once this season but didn't shoot anything. My grandmother says he might go one more time but she's not sure. Would I need any kind of permit to just tag along? I bet he would love to show me how to hunt. I remember a few years ago I was interested in bow hunting and he was going to take me out to a range and show me how to shoot a bow. (those darn things are hard to pull back!) but we never go the chance.

I am definitely going to see if I can at least go to the basic hunter class in March and ask my grandfather if I can tag along if he goes hunting one more time. He owns a bit of land in Lexington, Va (I think its Lexington anyway :p ) that he hunts deer on.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Do a hunter safety course. Go to a firearms training/safety class and practice, practice, practice. I grew up around guns so I kind of learned it all my life but when I was 15 my parents made me take a hunter safety course and I still do things that I learned in the class. There are things around here, I'm not that far from you. You will need to get a hunting license and your big game tags if you plan on hunting deer. They are easy to get, you can get them at Walmart. The big thing is to get someone to go with you and show you the ropes. If you hunt in on the ground in a blind it is a lot different than hunting up in a tree stand. You have to be aware of your surroundings and where you are shooting.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soybean, you'd have to check with your state laws to see if you will need a permit. Most likely you will, I can't think of a state that doesn't require one. Game wardens can get righteous on you, too.

You might, however, be able to get a "provisional" permit. Check with your game & parks, or wildlife service.

Here in MS, you don't need one if you are under 16, over 65 & a resident or disabled & a resident.