how to store canning lids...long term storage

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
have purchased a bulk of lids, how do you preserve the rubber seal from rotting or melting ? If (new)cases of canning jars are stored in shed not air conditioned will the lids (rubber part) be ok? I cannot purchase the Tattler lids for as many jars I have...what do you do..? I realize the jars will go fast...canning pears and have used 2 cases of pints already

was going to can poultry....was raising 100 chickens....had a group ready for processing, was feeding special....a predator killed them all...not only them ... am down to 63 chickens (easier to handle) but sure made a difference in the amount of meat I will can... shoot... a blessing though because I know where my defenses are weak and will shore them up....won't happen again...

put the word out for canning jars from friends, am on my way to purchase more...G

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how long you intend on hanging on to those lids unused. You should be fine for a few years under normal conditions. I got some jars at an auction and there was a pack of lids unopened. Turned out they were from the 70's! LOL I tried a few on some dry goods and the rubber got gooey on a few so I tossed them. Some were just fine. So 30 years is pushing it obviously :D

If I were you I would put them in a ziplock freezer bag or use a foodsaver pouch. Food saver if you are thinking they wont be used for 5 years or more. Less than that I would think a heavy baggies would be fine.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree with WZ but I'd also keep them away from extreme heat, cold, and damp unless you vacuum seal them. Make sure to date them somehow so you can rotate your stock. I'm getting a bunch of Tattler's each year until I have enough. Lids are getting expensive!

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you both....am now going to invest in reusable Tattler lids, just didn't know how to use them or how many to buy...what size is most used.....How do you determine yours? The others will not be wasted, someone will need them and I will have them to barter or what....Thank you...G

someone suggested a baggie in a jar...like you do jerky....I have a food saver will give it a shot...thank you... Lids her a $1.oo per box of 12....you sure can't beat that....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I like packing and removing food from wide mouth jars, however, I can't fit as many into my canner so I almost always use the regular mouth. I find that the seal a bit more reliably in the pressure canner, too. So I am focusing on getting lots of the reg mouth Tattlers.

I only get reg mouth metal lids at a buck a dozen on clearance at stores that sell them seasonally, and only if I'm the first to spot them and have cash on me! I now have lots of wide mouth lids but am about out of the reg mouth. I need more Tattlers soon!

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I buy a few boxes of lids at a time through the year, that way I have enough when I need them. Plus many stores are sold out in the season, so I'm never without enough lids. I keep mine in a cardboard box, but I keep some of those little silica packages in with them. I save them and use them in the jars with my seeds as well. I know I have some lids that are at least three years old (I didn't do much canning for the past two years) and they are fine, no sign of rust or dry rot on the rubber part.

Tami :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I was looking at the tattler lid website and they say they are lifetime. So, why do they sell replacement rubber rings? Do they break down and need to be replaced? In case I lose them?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Rubber will rot (gets hard and cracks) over time, especially if exposed to air. Store them airtight and they will last longer.

I just KNOW those tiny rings will get lost and tossed in the trash by mistake. So I ordered a couple extra packs right at the start. They also might get damaged when opening the jars, possibly, if one uses a metal can opener in a rough manner. Like a big brute of a husband.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So do the Tatler lids works as well as the metal ones? I have been thinking about buying some, but they are little pricy. However, if they are as good as they say, it may well be worth it.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did a bit of research on canning lids and how long they can be stored and found that yes the older ones from the 80's and earlier were made with rubber which will rot whether they were used or not.. but now days they are made with a polymer that is rubber free and should last much longer but now does have BPA in it..
Storing them in vacuum bags with O2 absorbers will make them last a long time. especially if it is temperature controlled.(aka no swings in temps.)
Even tho they have BPA in them it is has been found that foods that sit in the BPA lined cans have much more leaching than a home canned/jarred product where the food is not touching the lids.
The letter from Jordan foods(makers of ball/Kerr/American harvest jars and lids) say that it is best if you buy new every year(yea right;) they need a :smack) but they will last for at least 5 years if dry and cool.. I told them I was researching a paper for high school lol Probably the only reason I got any answer back.

I want to start getting a few of the tattler lids and extra rings but man there are so many other bills right now.. But other forums I am a member of have folks who have been doing trials with them and so far it is pretty good-they did mainly water bath with them but I will pass along the info here about them doing really well in Pressure canning.(as long as it is ok with Freemotion that is!)