how to store canning lids...long term storage

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I did a bit of research on canning lids and how long they can be stored and found that yes the older ones from the 80's and earlier were made with rubber which will rot whether they were used or not.. but now days they are made with a polymer that is rubber free and should last much longer but now does have BPA in it..
Storing them in vacuum bags with O2 absorbers will make them last a long time. especially if it is temperature controlled.(aka no swings in temps.)
Even tho they have BPA in them it is has been found that foods that sit in the BPA lined cans have much more leaching than a home canned/jarred product where the food is not touching the lids.
The letter from Jordan foods(makers of ball/Kerr/American harvest jars and lids) say that it is best if you buy new every year(yea right;) they need a :smack) but they will last for at least 5 years if dry and cool.. I told them I was researching a paper for high school lol Probably the only reason I got any answer back.

I want to start getting a few of the tattler lids and extra rings but man there are so many other bills right now.. But other forums I am a member of have folks who have been doing trials with them and so far it is pretty good-they did mainly water bath with them but I will pass along the info here about them doing really well in Pressure canning.(as long as it is ok with Freemotion that is!)
It's not the sealing compound that contains BPA, but the white coating lining the inside of the top of the lids.