How to Store Egg Noodles and Pasta Long Term

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to package some pasta in maylar bags for long term storage.. Egg Noodles, dumplings, macaroni. I was wondering if I need oxyegen obsorber in each bag.. the packages will be about 12 oz bags.. Especially for the egg noodles..

I opened a bag of macaroni from lds canner bought in may 2009 and didn't have oxegen obsorber in it so I put one in it after I took out what I needed for a few meals and resealed.. is this okay..
thank you

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have no idea as I store my noodles in vacuum bags in the freezer. But waiting to see what everyone says.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The oxygen obsorbers will be 300 cc I beleive.. also would a little rice in bottom help too????

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes, adding the oxygen absorber is a good idea. They are inexpensive insurance. While most of our pasta storage is in the form of wheat, we do have some egg noodles and other pastas stored in mylar bags. Adding the absorbers should keep it fine for quite a few years. While we haven't done it, as Pirtykitty mentioned, a little bit of rice uncooked rice might help with any moisture.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you Knoxx... I had the pasta purchased over the last month and had it in freezer... until I got enough built up.. Over the week end I also won a pasta maker off of ebay !!!! So I'll be able to also use my wheat....
I had seen a video on Utube where a lady had here egg noodles stored and they had molded.. Now I noticed that her food storage was in a medal building somewhere in texas...
I hope the pasta maker makes it here all in one piece...

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
Thank you Knoxx... I had the pasta purchased over the last month and had it in freezer... until I got enough built up.. Over the week end I also won a pasta maker off of ebay !!!! So I'll be able to also use my wheat....
I had seen a video on Utube where a lady had here egg noodles stored and they had molded.. Now I noticed that her food storage was in a medal building somewhere in texas...
I hope the pasta maker makes it here all in one piece...
Congrats on the pasta maker! To be honest, we don't use ours as much as we once did, and it is now more of a "just in case" item. But fresh pasta is great and just discussing it has given me the urge to break it out again. :)

It may not be necessary, but we put up 99% of our long term dry storage during the winter months when the humidity is real low. We got into the practice when we lived in south LA, and 90% or higher humidity was common. That's why you idea of a little rice may be a good idea. Oh btw, Sorry about mentioning you in the third person, in my earlier post. I forgot who I was writing to. :rolleyes: (I do have an excuse though, I'm OLD)

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope I haven't made a mistake. I packaged some of the pasta in maylar bags with oxyegen obsorber, and rice but on some of them I put the pasta bag rolled up inside before I sealed it.. Then thought about it and taped the bag to the outside.. Do ya'll think I need to go back and take the original bag out and re seal?????

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
I hope I haven't made a mistake. I packaged some of the pasta in maylar bags with oxyegen obsorber, and rice but on some of them I put the pasta bag rolled up inside before I sealed it.. Then thought about it and taped the bag to the outside.. Do ya'll think I need to go back and take the original bag out and re seal?????
I wouldn't think that it would be any problem.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wheew wee good.. Wasn't looking forward to opening 5 of them up and trying to reseal. LOL... I forgot about the size bags of pasta I had purchased.. they were 16 oz bags so I put 2 bags to a gallon container a handfull of rice ( have small hands wear a size 3/12) and a 300 cc oxyegen obsorber.. the dumplings came in 8 oz bags so I put two to a gallon bag.. the medium wide noodles were 12 oz but could only fit one bag in the gallon maylar... I'm set on pasta I think.. But may pick up a few more bags before it goes up..
Sure hope the pasta machine comes in pretty quick..
Do you think I could store home made pasta in the maylar bags????

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have stored some of our own, once it was dried in the dehydrator, but we used it up fairly fast. My wife says the longest that any ever lasted before we ate it was about 6 months, but if dried well, I can't see any difference between home-made and store bought (at least for long term storage, that is).