How would this work for sprouter? And how to use it?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking to take some of those smaller plastic dip containers. I think French's is the name brand and they are probably 8 oz containers. French Onion dip comes in them!

Just poke a bunch of holes in the bottom.

For some reason, the jars of disheveled sprouts looks unappetizing to me. I want a shallower container, and one in which the sprouts can grow straight up, mostly undisturbed.

And I'm still not entirely clear on how to use the device. You just want to dampen the seeds, then remove ALL of the water from the container, is that right? And do you want to keep them covered?

So, if I had this device, what would I do? This is my understanding of it:

Soak dry beans overnight?

Have container with drain holes.

Add damp beans.

Store in cool dark place. ?? dark?

Twice a day, run fresh water through container.

Let the water run completely out.

Do this until you get sprouts. (A couple of inches tall?)

Store in refrigerator until eaten.

Eat, then replace with new soaked beans. :)

Cassandra

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sounds good. I've never grown mine in the dark, but it should work (seeing as that's how all gardens are started :))

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me if it is in the dark. LOL I just read that and thought that's what you were supposed to do. Do they need light?

:lol:

I feel like such a noob. :bun

Cassandra

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some beans prefer the dark, mung is one of them. My alfalfa likes it sunny, they grow faster. The mung beans like to be under pressure. It helps them fatten up. Like a crock with another jar that fits inside the hole. I have a picture around here somewhere. I used a soup toureen with a metal bowl in the top. weighted down with a big can.
I dont see why your container wouldn't work. I think it would be great for the alfalfa. You would probably still need to cut a piece of screen for when you rince. Those seeds are tiny.

There are a ton of videos on youtube, Thats what I saw first. good luck, gina

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hrmm... What if I put a coffee filter in the bottom?

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You typically want to grow sprouts in the dark and then on the last day, you let them get sun to green the little leaves up a little.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
You typically want to grow sprouts in the dark and then on the last day, you let them get sun to green the little leaves up a little.
Wow, is that true with all sprouts? I guess you learn something new every day.

DaMommaBean

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
where do you get the alfalfa seeds? like at the farm store...? I have always loved the sprouts and have just bought them in the store.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MommaBean,
I actually ordered quite a large quantity of sprouting seeds from emergencyesentials.com. They recommend seeds as one of your basic pantry storage items. But since then I have found sproutpeople.com. I think they would probably sell seeds in smaller quantities. I just made a batch of alfalfa for this weeks sandwiches. Yum. And yes I kept them in mostly dark conditions until the last day. They grew much better.

Ps. I checked sprout people and they were not that cheap. Maybe do a google search and see whats in your area.

Latest posts