How would you evaluate....?

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe one word of wisdom- there are quite a few shady people out there so be careful even when interviewing people for a position. Learn as much as you can about them. DO call references. Dont unintentionally tell them when you are at the farm and when not (maybe when you work at another job like me) and be sure to screen your people, get their full names, scribble down the license plate of their car, etc. Many of my friends hired farmhands, got rid of them after a few weeks because they were useless and came back to an empty barn after a day of work because the disgruntled ex-employee got some stuff while they were gone. Protect your family and your assets. Sad but true. We also always have cars in the driveway. This helped last year when they neighbors got broken into but not our place. People are less inclined to stop by unannounced and steal equipment if somebody could be home. Just my opinion and experience. My late husband was a prison guard and said that the 2 things that keep burglars away are dogs, a well lit yard and no shrubs to hide behind. But that is waaaayyyy off topic nowsorry.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When my sister and her husband lived in Virgina, they lived on a organic farm..to help pay their rent they did chores around the farm .. they also went to the farmers market and helped sell stuff.. Frances even told me they helped with harvesting the chickens etc... They now own their own property in Tea South Dakota but are stationed in El Paso Texas because Kevin is in the Military...

Latest posts