How would you feel about buying a property with graves on it?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'll admit I love cemeteries. I love exploring them and taking pics of any unusual stones and I've joined a group on FB where I share my finds and enjoy others'. Today I posted this question to the group and got some great responses, so I thought I'd ask you all as well, just out of curiosity...

Backstory: I was watching a TV show yesterday where a couple was looking to buy a country property. They were shown 3 properties and the last one was part of a converted church... Included with that house was an equal share (of 3 parts) of the surrounding cemetery, which appeared to be quite old.

The presenter asked the couple if if the "graves in the garden" bothered them and the best the lady could come up with was "Ehhhhh.... I don't know! I'll have to think about it!" When they enquired later in the show about restrictions in the "garden" they were told the only restriction is no digging deeper than 18 inches.

Now, just out of curiosity how would you all feel about purchasing a property with a cemetery included? Would you be comfortable having "sitting tenants" in the garden?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting question, which... from my perspective requires an answer that is based on more than just my feelings regarding the subject.

From my own personal perspective, as the apostle Paul said: "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". My future is secure in Jesus Christ. So... when I die, what happens to my body is of little concern to me. In a way, it bothers me that prime real estate is tied up in huge cemeteries. I would be delighted if: the land that holds my decaying corpse was also used to grow a veggie or flower garden.

BUT, and this is a HUGE BUT: There is more than my own personal opinion involved here. Many people revere the little plot of ground where their relatives are buried. They put great effort into visiting those burial grounds, maintaining those cemetery plots, planting real or fake flowers there. I imagine that these people would be grossly offended if the cemetery that holds the bones of their deceased relatives was sold and used for an other purpose.

At least, in this day in age, people BUY a cemetery plot. Therefore, it is not ethical for that piece of land to be sold in the future.

In the case of an ancient cemetery where there is no longer any one around to carry out the rituals associated with such things, there are still those who would be offended at the repurposing of a cemetery. In this case, I consider that it might be prudent to make a reasonable attempt to contact the descendents of the deceased and offer to let them have the bodies exhumed and moved to a new location.

So, personally: it's a non issue. Ethically, to prevent offense, I would consider such property to be a Pandora's box.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my area there are a large number of "personal cemeteries". In most every one I have seen, the right of ingress & egress has been granted and must be honored. In fact, in some cases, the family does visit and some still intend to use the plots for eventual burial. Some of these were established back at the Civil War!

When looking to buy land (now on parcel I found), so many had cemeteries that I had family ask if that was a requirement for me to look :rolleyes: Yes, you can still bury on your own farm here; there are requirements first. Most old burial sites are maintained by the new property owner, out of respect, at least the 3 on my street are! :)

So, just having a cemetery is not an issue for me HOWEVER, the location of it is. This one you mention seems to be in the backyard, so to speak (maybe literally). That would be a problem due to the above rights of survivors, and the consideration for all involved to feel comfortable coming & going.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apparently I am the irrational one who doesn't think about logistics, just creepy factor. Lol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't consider cemeteries to be creepy at all. The residents are always very quiet, never have wild parties. One thing that has always amused me in my neighborhood: About a mile from my house, there is a cemetery. About 100 graves. It sits across the street from an old country church. The home that sits beside this cemetery is up on a rise, and has a view looking down on the cemetery. On the front lawn of this home sits an old ?civil war era cannon. FACING THE CEMETERY!!! I laugh every time I see it. Why would they point the cannon at the cemetery??????

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me at all. It's just a field of stones. I agree with LG on it all...wouldn't like families coming around to "visit" the graves, though.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
In the case of an ancient cemetery where there is no longer any one around to carry out the rituals associated with such things, there are still those who would be offended at the repurposing of a cemetery. In this case, I consider that it might be prudent to make a reasonable attempt to contact the descendents of the deceased and offer to let them have the bodies exhumed and moved to a new location.
Good point and idea! The cemeteries I've seen for sale along with dwellings are generally quite old (100+ years), so finding living relatives may be impossible. But if someone was buried in a such a place more recently, I think tracking down any relatives or descendants would be important.